Starting over

@graggy just wants an economical bike to ride, he don't need a song and dance on mags and disc brakes.

A simple lightly used MTB will be the best bet, he can fix a few short comings down the road once he has a bike to ride.

Graggy, you seem set on a beach cruiser or maybe its just sticker shock but if you feel like taking a chance with huffy, this bike has vee brakes, semi horizontal drop outs, and a steel frame. Now I do not recommend it because the component are junk: the bike will always need some work on something. But if it gets you in the door to the hobby you can always decide to "bail out" with a used bike in good condition from a reputable brand or a new, well built, dead simple bike like the Retrospec Harper or a State Bicycles 4130 single speed.

@graggy just wants an economical bike to ride, he don't need a song and dance on mags and disc brakes.

A simple lightly used MTB will be the best bet, he can fix a few short comings down the road once he has a bike to ride.
"Economical" you will ride for a short while, build it right and you ride for long time...lol...Economical is a really nice way to say your building it on "on the cheap" and you will always get what you paid for...If you noticed from his first post, he tried to do this on an existing aluminum frame bike he had...Results were not so good.

Everyone I have seen in this forum who thinks he can build totally "on the cheap" is living the dream of false "economy"...I have found the middle of the road will serve quite nicely, especially on a fixed income like me.

This forum is littered with the names of former, would be MB builders who didn't learn this right off the bat and were disappointed greatly in their end results and the added costs of trying to get it right and reliable and just quit in frustration.

It is much better to tell folks right off the bat to spend a little more now and cry alot less later on down the line.

Hahaha...Wish I had a nickel for everytime I have heard that one...lol...It's even more "fun" when the chain is too tight with zero give or at least a half inch of bounce to it..."KERPLANG", "THUNK", "PLOP"...lol...lol.
Is my chain tight enough? 😆

Attachments

• 20230702_202337.jpg
    20230702_202337.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 64
Its good thing I am not a mod: I would be like this fellow over topic drift.

I have mentioned this before and I will say it once again, most of the guys in this forum actually like the friendly banter and comic relief that "creeps: in from time to time on their threads...I have offered to many the option of us removing posts that "topic drift" all but two members said they wouldn't have it any other way as they like it this way.

I remove the "drift" by request of the thread starter/owner upon their request to do so...If it's not broke, I don't fix...lol.

I have mentioned this before and I will say it once again, most of the guys in this forum actually like the friendly banter and comic relief that "creeps: in from time to time on their threads...I have offered to many the option of us removing posts that "topic drift" all but two members said they wouldn't have it any other way as they like it this way.

I remove the "drift" by request of the thread starter/owner upon their request to do so...If it's not broke, I don't fix...lol.
Thus, why I am not a mod.

Ps...I was actually accused OF BEING A NAZI some years ago because I was removing posts and threads that were abusive to other members...lol...lol...Ya can't please everyone...lol.

Back