Stripped head stud- new Hardware?

Risk Man

Local time
12:33 AM
So the top threads stripped on my cheap 50CC motor as I was putting the head and jug back on. Where do I buy 10MM studs of good quality the right length? I know everyone says buy american steel, where do I get it and how do I know it is better?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Mine are 8mm x1.25.. not sure about 50cc 10mm?
Moped division had the studs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-195742.png
    Screenshot_20220305-195742.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20220305-195633.png
    Screenshot_20220305-195633.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 87
So the top threads stripped on my cheap 50CC motor as I was putting the head and jug back on. Where do I buy 10MM studs of good quality the right length? I know everyone says buy american steel, where do I get it and how do I know it is better?
You better measure those studs, I don't think they are 10mm.

You can get long bolts then cut the head off with a hacksaw to your desired length. When I do this (not very often) I put the end I cut into the hole and thread the nut on the other end. With metric hardware, there is a number stamped on the head. That stamp refers to the strength.
DONTtouchMYcrayons.gif

EDIT: I didn't realize you were replacing your head studs. Same theory should work though. I've never replaced my head studs.

Solved.... I was wrong... again... the studs on this small 50cc are 6mm. I went to the hardware store and bought a 3 foot 6mm threaded rod. Cut it to length with a hacksaw. Oiled it up and threaded it into the bottom end. Put the head on with some flange nuts I also bought, torqued it down took it off the bench went for a ride. It is fixed and started right up. No leaks.

Do I need to re-seat the rings since the jug was off? I ran it twice for about 4 miles each ride today

Thanks for the input from the group.

Solved.... I was wrong... again... the studs on this small 50cc are 6mm. I went to the hardware store and bought a 3 foot 6mm threaded rod. Cut it to length with a hacksaw. Oiled it up and threaded it into the bottom end. Put the head on with some flange nuts I also bought, torqued it down took it off the bench went for a ride. It is fixed and started right up. No leaks.

Do I need to re-seat the rings since the jug was off? I ran it twice for about 4 miles each ride today

Thanks for the input from the group.
If you didn't change rings, then you're good to go.

i ordered these for an '80cc' engine so i suppose they're 8mm, branded cdh. https://www.ebay.com/itm/195438796292?_
6mm studs of different lengths are on amazon though https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TZ5M19?th=1
be sure to buy from a good seller and site that offers guarantees and free returns.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back