Tank Slappers?

Wyvern

Local time
3:44 PM
I'm wondering if tank slappers/death wobble is possible on one of these bikes?

It has me thinking because my built 224 will still make the front tire light at 40mph, I'm not wearing gear except a helmet at 40-50mph, thats enough to do serious damage.

Has had or heard of someone getting tank slappers?

This is like a best oil thread. In m/c forums there's a hundred reasons folks come up with as to why that happens. Weight distribution, fork design, wheel balance issues, tires etc. It's scary as all get out when it happens at speed, sometimes it doesn't end well. It'll be interesting to read opinions on this.

It absolutely can happen. You won't likely see it at the lower speeds these bikes operate at, but it can potentially happen, especially to the guys pushing 40+ mph.

As Darwin said, there are many reasons it can happen. Usually a combination of things in my opinion. I've experienced it once but I was thankful to be on a powerful enough bike that I was able to power out of it. And, yes, it's counter intuitive as all hell to accelerate when your bars start to dance. Your brain is screaming to slow down.

Rather than asking if it can happen, you should assume it will happen. You really should be wearing more than just a helmet as far as PPE
At 30mph down to about 15mph, a proper helmet with some form of safety rating, gloves, and at least long sleeves and pants to protect your skin. At the very least some knee and elbow protection is a good idea.

Above 30mph, I would start venturing into MC gear territory, especially at 40+

At 30mph down to about 15mph, a proper helmet with some form of safety rating, gloves, and at least long sleeves and pants to protect your skin. At the very least some knee and elbow protection is a good idea.

Above 30mph, I would start venturing into MC gear territory, especially at 40+
Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some riding gear, be it a Harley or a hyper, 50mph is 50mph, the street doesn't care.

Obviously never ridden a real motorcycle, but I got death wobble from my work's shop truck on the highway, POS Ford...

Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some riding gear, be it a Harley or a hyper, 50mph is 50mph, the street doesn't care.

Obviously never ridden a real motorcycle, but I got death wobble from my work's shop truck on the highway, POS Ford...
Jeeps are notorious for it too. Not just a ford thing.

My truck has a decent amount of slop in the steering lol, but it only drifts a bit, no wobble.

Back