Tank Slappers?

BMW GS800's have a tank slapper issue that happens with that bike more than others. ADV rider face plant threads can attest to that. A lot of those guys are loaded down with gear in the rear when it happens. Seems it makes the front end too light at speed is a general thought.

it's a combination of things, including caster angle of the knuckles, arm angles, and the type of tie rod setup more than just slop alone
It's a pretty common problem with the GMT400 trucks. It could be a number of things like you said, but it's not bad enough to worry about. I don't have the time to troubleshoot it and fix it yet. Once I get moved and get another car I plan to rebuild the engine and transmission and overhaul the suspension, and maybe even a little paint.

Nice. All black looks great but... Visibility? Armored pants would be nice too. I'm not kidding about that. Hip and knee protection would be nice.
Padded knee and hip jeans.
I have a pair I use if I know I’ll be on the interstate highway.

They might help some with 70 mph road rash. Figure it’ll rip off quick but can’t be worse than nothing.

I sure never want to find out how effective they really are.

I have seen the results of a high speed slide where the rider, street drag racing,…had jogging shorts, basketball jersey, and flip-flop shoes.
I never want to see it again.

Nice. All black looks great but... Visibility? Armored pants would be nice too. I'm not kidding about that. Hip and knee protection would be nice.
It's got reflective strips, but I agree, I would have bought white/lime if it was an option.

But if I buy a bike, I'm buying an air-bag vest in neon green.

The drivers around here are wildly bad.

Back