tensioner delete?

Reeko

Local time
2:16 AM
The main source of woes on my bike has been the chain tensioner. Could I just remove links in the chain until it is at a proper tension and do away with it? Then just pop the master link for wheel removal? Anyone tried this?

Thanks guys!

Yes but it's possible to make it even worse, if it's not perfect you could drop the chain all the time especially when starting for some reason.

I think you need a different chain tensioner if the one you have is just not working on your bike. I had a bent piece of flat aluminum and put a tensioner wheel on one end, and the other I bolted to the clutch arm cover. Spring loaded.

It has definitely been done. I'm sure I have read about it on here before.
On a lot of bike frames it is necessary to lift the chain over the chainstay to stop it from rubbing.

Last edited:
you might be able to, but not with all bikes for a given two kinds of chain

EDIT: *spring* tensioner might be easier and or more reliable

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went with an arch tensioner like Frankenstein suggested in another thread of mine. I added a spring rig as well. Works amazingly just spinning the wheel in the garage. About to go for a good ride to test it out!!

I've attached a pic of the setup, as well as a pic of my bike (tax). Thanks again for all your help guys!

Attachments

• tensioner.jpg
    tensioner.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 318
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 326
My bike doesn't use a tensioner. I also use a Staton Inc shift kit from a rear mount. The key thing will be perfect alignment.

Attachments

• IMG_20161113_080115.jpg
    IMG_20161113_080115.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 342
The main source of woes on my bike has been the chain tensioner. Could I just remove links in the chain until it is at a proper tension and do away with it? Then just pop the master link for wheel removal? Anyone tried this?

Thanks guys!
Thats about what I did with mine I put the one link in and had over 3 inches of play I took the 1 inch link out chain is so tight that it pulls the axle out of the bracket that is dangerous can pull the wheel out of the yoke I'm thinking of using steel band to wrap around it almost had a near fatal accdent on powerring through a freeway way overpass of on and off ramps glad it broke once I got to a slow street zzone could have been killed or in a bad place for repairs, I have an arc too but the things still snaps lose no matter how tight I place the nut so is what I'm thinking of doing is getting 1 tension wheel for the bottom 1 for the top free fly them use a strong spring connecting both so when the chain slaps them out of place for a second they will return to full tension and I wont half to tighten them twice to three or more times a day.

Back