THank you for letting me join

HI!!

Best regards to you!!--I am new here as well,, seems like a bunch of good guys here!!--I attended college at NorthWood Institute
in Midland ,, left right after the first snow---to FL. State. What kind of bikes do you have, or are thinking of getting? Take Care, Rhett

welcome...have fun....all of the **tt kissing wasn't needed....it's not that bad.

Thank you all for your nice replies. B. Spears -- yeah thats her all right -- you can't tell by looking
at us that we're related -- until you compare our bellybuttons.

Just ordered a Spookey Tooth bike today---It might be a while. Considered just getting a motor and
bolting the thing onto something in my buddies bikepile. However experience shows I usually just
end up spending more money in the long run. May try to build my own once a tried and trued method
is here to compare against.

While waiting for the thing, will probably spend a significant amount of time dwelling on it and thinking
up all sorts of crazy ideas. For example a CHT gauge--which I will post here shortly. I will probably
just post ideas here and let people respond.

Thanks again!

Cylinder Head Temperature CHT Guage

Westach makes a number of real groovy
airplane instruments. One of them uses a thermocouple ring around a spark plug
to measure the temperature of the cylinder head (CHT). They have a variety of
styles available. I was looking at the 2inch gauge with the bullet shaped enclosure
and pipe frame mount. I think it cost under a hundred bucks.

I read about these things while reading up on ultralight aircraft. Apparently, typical
twin cylinder 2-stroke air cooled snow-mobile (ski-doo to our Canadian friends) engine
has a tendency to 'cold-seize' under certain sets of circumstance. For example, imagine
flying your ultralight at cruising altitude for some time, then reducing throttle to slowly go
down as you near the runway, then hit the gas for a powered landing and oops---cold
seizure. The piston temperature got out of whack with the cylinder temperature.

So airplane people like to know what their head temp is. They also like to know what
their Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) is with a simliar set up. In fact, we can buy
dual EGT/CHT guages from Westach.

Would something like this be practical and useful?

What say you?

Last edited:
hi k8jef and re welcome to the forum...do start a new thread in the picture gallery of your new build...as far as the airoplane info we have an off topic area for just that kind of thing here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75 good luck on all your endeavors and happy motoring..oh you have the right about reading, when i first joined i started at the begining which was MBc in it's infancy, when senior members were all newbies, it kinda reads like a book really esp. picture gallery, i do not have allot of time on line to go everywhere on all forums...
well good luck Jeff..

Back