Thatsdax Titan XC 50cc

Homemade torque strap

While in Colorado, I broke my troque strap riding some rough dirt roads.
He's my new idea. I'm open to any advice and ny thoughts on possible problems.
I cut the links in the chain then welded them back after I looped them through the eye bolts and the, The turn buckle makes for easy adjustments.
The wire was a quick fix so I could keep riding until I came up with something.

While my bike was down I tried my had at riding bulls.:D

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1617.jpg
    IMG_1617.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 239
@Scott:
To my way of thinking that torque strap needs to be absolutely rigid cos when the engine is under power the whole base wants to move forewards.Absolutely rigid when tight but have a number of different adjustments to suit every possible working angle.
The shackle is a good idea & i also thought of it if my strap couldn't be customized to work how i wanted.
I've nearly finished my Titan(also on a dual suspension MTB) so i'll post pics within the next few days...it has mods that i think u would be interested in.

I am planning to mod my Titan also. I decided to shore it up by replacing the original torque strap with a mounting bracket from Staton and some angle iron. I'll have to drill another hole in that monster of a mounting plate but I think the whole thing will be more sturdy. Mine is a full suspension MTB as well and the back end just flexes too much over bumps for it only to be supported on one side. But Fetor plz do post those pics as I am interested in how others make the Titan work with their bike.

Hmmm. I'll have to look at that. The way I knew my torque strap broke was because the motor fell back causing slack in the chain then derailement. Thanks for the heads up. I kindf of had a feeling that the soildness was required.

The torque reaction on the mounting plate would drive it backwards not forward,how solid is that strap ?,it may well have broken because of metal fatigue,due to a combination of stress plus vibration.I would also be concerned about the rear stays,subjected to fluctuating bending moments for similar reasons !

My strap is still good I'm guessing because my cruiser is not suspension.
I'd like to see what fetor did as well.

These pics will give u some idea...it's not fually cosmetically finished yet but all the hard work is done & it's working perfectly.
In the next day or so i'll make a proper post & start my own thread,with review. :)
PS. Scott old fellow......where did your strap break....u wouldn't possibly have a pic would ya?
P1010065.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

p1010070.jpg

p1010071.jpg

p1010072.jpg

P1010073.jpg

P1010074.jpg

P1010075.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOw! Fetor, you really went all out on that job. It looks great. I like the small chain cover as well.
My torque strap was 2 bolts welded at the 90, where it looks as if yours is bent. Mine broke at the weld on the 90. No matter how tight i made things one of the nuts would come loose allowing the oposite nut to come loose. I'm sure all my adjusting and re-adjusting left the weld with too much stress on the 90 causing fatigue. The road I was on was smooth most of the time but in some places there were rocks or roots rising about 1or 2 inches out of the road surface. I managed to avoid them most of the time, but i hit one pretty solid and that's when it snapped.

Man you did an amazing job!

I would be somewhat concerned about possible fatigue induced cracks developing where the threaded rod is sharply bent at the bottom attachment.If you had a flexible mounting there you would be OK,your's looks on the rigid side to me. Actually a hinge at that location allowing a pivoting movement would be safest in my opinion since it would not subject the rod to any bending stresses at all and also have no adverse effect on the overall structural integrity.

I think it helps with mine as there's very little actual stress on the rod cos the base is bolted in 2 places...BUT,i agree it wouldn't hurt to beef the rod up a little.
Duanes new kit is supposed to have an improved rod so that might be worth following-up Scott when it becomes available.Also the fually machined sprockets are a good idea on his new kit...i welded a nut to the sprocket on the jackshaft to give the bolt more thread to connect but better to have it all properly machined in 1 piece.

Back