Theoretically: Long trips on a HT 48cc powered bicycle...?

I don't like those bell tires. Ive tried them. I recently got those white wall goodyears they sell at Wal-Mart. I wonder if the tread is more durable. Traction feel better at high speeds.
If you rotate your tires yes but I have a old skool milk crate on the rear wheel rack. Back tire Definetly starts balding after around 250 my experience but the roads are hotter here I'm sure.

personally, what i would do if im planning this trip is bring a small pop up tent and a good sleeping bag, as this is going to multi day trip,

if you have a 3 wire cdi, get a 6v headlight and wire it up to the magneto, so if your going to be night riding you can see where your going.

i would gear the engine so you arnt revving past 5k, (ie you want 24mph, gear that so its your criusing speed, so you arnt pinning it, id go 40, maybe 36 if you can help it pedal up those hills)

good quality name brand tires, kenda, maxxis, csk, there all quality tires, id go with some maxxis holy rollers, heard they last a long time and the tread isnt going to lower your gas mileage.

pack some QUALITY 2 stroke oil, as i really wouldnt trust some gas station stuff, hell, i dont trust there gas half the time

also, have you planned your route on where you want to go?
(ie do you want to skip Idahos national forests all together? or do you want to see the whole thing?)

and, have the cash and a passport incase things go to complete s**t and you can just book a plane ticket home (if your bikes completely fails, and you just give up)

but thats a last resort, and we dont want that do we ;)

if you do plan on doing it, take pictures! itll be the best adventure of your life!

Do you have a basic itinerary? Might post it to see if some of the forum members might like to join in for a day for 2. Or be able to help if you need some. Are you planning on riding the return trip or renting a van and hauling the bike home?

And for the record. I rode my China girl today for 7 miles tropical storm like rain and my poor china girl was struggling. Even with the Goodyear aqua tread tires... Bro I was rain suit and swiming goggles on... LoL
Full throttle pedaling in 3rd and barely going 10mph lol... Its was crazy...

Tent and sleeping bag: Check! I was told the high plains in Colorado and eastern Utah can be col-l-ld! and a couple gallons of water for hydration

I've frequently beat into a 15~20 mph headwind when going home from the shop. My engine rarely needs assistance except when on a gradual grade with a headwind, I can still make about 17 mph. More concerned about the steeper grades going into the Rockies leading out of Idaho, that why I'm thinking a 48T big sprocket instead of the 44T stock sprocket.

Always use Lucas 40:1 synthetic for aircooled engines, mixed at 35:1 and a couple sizes smaller jets for the 8K' high passes. Running a Yamaha PW50 clone carb, it's very well metered compared to the NT carb, has a start circuit instead of a choke flap.

I have about 12 MB builds. However I have used 1 for three tri state runs. We traveled in a group of about 7 to ten riders. We also had a chase trailer as a backup. I have never had to use the trailer. I have a 48cc HT engine with 4K mi. 32:1 mixture. The group has melted away but I still enjoy riding daily. Go for it!

Attachments

• SHIRT-4.jpg
    SHIRT-4.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 114
I'd find a way to bring a spare motor or at least a spare rotating assembly, one or two of each type of bolt for the motor, some tools, and jb stick weld to ensure that you can recover from any breakdowns. Then again that could be completely unnecessary.

Carrying an extra engine, which weighs about 24 pounds? I have better things to carry besides an engine, like water, extra fuel and a tent/sleeping bag.

IDK It seems that most users here run their HT engines WOT most of the time, maybe this is why these engines don't have a lot of reliability.

I started my entry into MBs with a 30 cc weedie friction drive I built myself. So I'm real conservative with the throttle, hypermileing to get best fuel mileage. I always pedal start up to about 7~9 mph before engaging clutch. My only real concern is tackling the climbs into the Rockies and jetting issues above 3000'.

I've rode my 48cc 70 miles through middle Georgia at 24-25 mph, I have never had a engine failure. I own a 66cc as well, the 48 is balanced better and has far less vibration.

Back