thinking about motorizing the kulana Moon Dog

Just for your information, I had a boygofast kit, and a kit from thatsdax.com. The kit from thatsdax is a little more expensive, but much better quality.

Thanks for the info about the two kits. I'm planning on going with the Dax kit because of the price and didn't know about the boygofast kit. Can you give me some more ideas about the Dax kit? I have heard a couple of things but not a lot really. Heard a few good things but not a lot. Looking to use the 70cc Dax kit on the Kulana Moon Dog.

Thanks for the help!
-cd-

Thank you Alan.

See, I broke my pelvis back in '84. Even destroyed that last bone in your spinal column, the Coccyx. Ever since then, riding a bicycle really hurts. But I really love riding so I am just going to have to find the cushiest, bounciest seat I can find. It's going to be a little embarrassing having this motorized bike with a big pillow-sized cushioned seat on the thing!

Hi decompiler,
Can you tell me what seat you ended up getting and what the cost was (if you don't mind). I have problems with my back as well. I would be interested in knowing what you ended up getting. Where does everyone get their parts and accessories from? I'm sure Walmart doesn't have everything :).

I wouldn't worry about what anyone might think about your comfy seat. It's much better without the pain and anyone with any sense will just think that you are kool and "smart"!

Last edited:
Alan - with the 36t sprocket, doesn't it bog down hard at low rpm's? How fast do you normally ride with this sprocket?

Thanks,
Mark

Once the engine is warm, it takes the gentle hills here in Philly, and will even slowly accelerate up them, while I gently increase the fuel flow. For the most part it's fairly flat here, but with a warm engine, it has no problem, and it's fast for a bicycle. It's still in break-in mode, but I did cheat when no one was looking, and took her up to 30 for a couple seconds. a few times. Judging the engine rpm, and vibrations, and the throttle only being maybe 1/2 to 2/3 open, I would say this bike will do close to 40. I weigh 175.
I already have a 44t bike, and wanted a little more speed on the Moon Dog.

Troy Fitz,

That bike in the second pic . It's way cool. Please explain the tank. Is that springer something you added ? Those bars are my favorite style for the classic look. What about the curved seat post ? Is that a Moon Dog too ?

- Al

Last edited:
I'm sorry Crabdance but I haven't gotten a better seat yet. Just as soon as I bought the bike and put it together, I had a family emergency that drained every single cent my wife and I had saved up. So I haven't bought a better seat yet.

But when I do buy another seat, it's going to be a bench type seat without that little protruding edge. Just some kind of seat that spreads my weight out on a wider and bigger seat. I kind of feel the seat doesn't HAVE to be a gel seat if the bigger seat helps redistribute my weight more efficiently. But if I can find a gel bench seat for a reasonable price, I sure won't pass it over!

Like this seat found here: http://www.derri-air.com/bench-seat.htm

Last edited:
I'm sorry Crabdance but I haven't gotten a better seat yet. Just as soon as I bought the bike and put it together, I had a family emergency that drained every single cent my wife and I had saved up. So I haven't bought a better seat yet.

But when I do buy another seat, it's going to be a bench type seat without that little protruding edge. Just some kind of seat that spreads my weight out on a wider and bigger seat. I kind of feel the seat doesn't HAVE to be a gel seat if the bigger seat helps redistribute my weight more efficiently. But if I can find a gel bench seat for a reasonable price, I sure won't pass it over!

Like this seat found here: http://www.derri-air.com/bench-seat.htm

Hi Decompiler, Sorry about your family emergency. Hope everything is ok now or at least better. I think I agree about the bench type seat. Seems like a good way to go. I've been doing some reading on them. Thanks for the link. Here's another one you might like: http://www.globalbikesonline.com/catalog/index.php

They have some pretty neat seats there too. Some of them look real good to me. Don't know what the going rate for a good comfy seat is though, but there are some on that site that look good.

Once the engine is warm, it takes the gentle hills here in Philly, and will even slowly accelerate up them, while I gently increase the fuel flow. For the most part it's fairly flat here, but with a warm engine, it has no problem, and it's fast for a bicycle. It's still in break-in mode, but I did cheat when no one was looking, and took her up to 30 for a couple seconds. a few times. Judging the engine rpm, and vibrations, and the throttle only being maybe 1/2 to 2/3 open, I would say this bike will do close to 40. I weigh 175.
I already have a 44t bike, and wanted a little more speed on the Moon Dog.

Hi Alan,
Do you run wide open for extended periods? When I get up over 25mph, I feel like I'm over-revving the motor, so I back off. Just wondering how hard you're running your bike, especially on longer open roads.

I keep throttling back to around 23 or so...but I feel like it will do 40 as well. But it feels pretty unstable ar higher speeds, so I know there's a tradeoff.

Kulana Cruisers Unite!!

Holy orange fluorescent paint Batman!

I guess this thread is getting a 2nd life.

"We should all meet up in Maryland for a rally. MB'S are as legal as milk there. So as long as you are old enough to drive and have a regular D/L, you can ride all day, while waving at the police. We should do a weekend there, like Ocean City, MD., perhaps during bike week in September. Think of the blast it would be. Carefree, no looking over the shoulder, like I do here in PA."
I don't know, that would be quite a long bike ride:eek: but if someone wants to pay for the gas - oh wait, never mind. :D
Just to give you an idea here in Idaho, we don't even have smog laws for vehicles. You can build and drive anything you want as long as it's safe.
Quite a change coming from Newport Beach CA.

ALAN:
"That bike in the second pic . It's way cool. Please explain the tank. Is that springer something you added ? Those bars are my favorite style for the classic look. What about the curved seat post ? Is that a Moon Dog too ?"

I unfortunately am not the owner of the 2nd picture w/ the green 1st gen Moondog. That honor belongs to DAX. He took two tanks, and welded them together. Elcavo was asking about different front end options when I posted that pic. The front was a Springer front end. I think DAX had stated 26" Schwinn, but not positive on that.

No, I'm the guy that doesn't even have his bike yet. It's on a truck somewhere on it's way to the nearest WalMart by the 6th. AND IT's KILLING ME looking at all these Cool bikes that you are all posting.
Just imagine how obnoxious I'll be when I actually have it!!

ELCAVO - GREAT pictures! - they really help to understand what words can't quite explain in full. I will be using them in my build for sure.
One thing I would like to mention - coming from the guy who doesn't have his bike yet - but, I read the entire Sparky manual, and one thing it mentioned was to make sure you have the tension wheel as low as possible when starting off. That way, all you have to do is raise the wheel as the chain stretches. I noticed yours was all the way up already. You might want to take out a link or two from your chain. Just a thought.

CRABDANCE:
" So far, the best price I can find on a Happy Time is from Dax. I can get a 70cc shipped for $218. That's about the best I have seen and I have heard good things about him. I would appreciate any other (or extra) thoughts about it."

I got a KingSport 80cc - which I guess is really a 66cc - so be it, I have heard it's not the best, but not the worst - but - the fastest. So when I get it running, I will post on how it is doing. I have seen very little information regarding this engine online. I paid $174.00 for it on Ebay- including shipping.
Depending on how reliable it is, I will go w/ the DAX motor when this one dies. Nothing but good reviews and service from all I have read.

"Where does everyone get their parts and accessories from? I'm sure Walmart doesn't have everything."

Actually, I saw the "comfy seat" - at Walmart for $19.95 - I am probably going to get a gel-seat. - more my style. They had a really wide selection of choices of seats. Even gel seat covers.

"don't mind me asking... what kit did you use? I like the chrome gas tank."

Not to cut in, but I know that DAX sells the chrome gas tank, but I think he's out of them last time I checked.

Idatiger:

Nice video! - looks like it's cruising pretty good.

MARKTUR:
"Hi guys....answering a bunch of stuff here...I too really like my Kulana. I liked the orange, but the blue one had tires with relatively no wobble. So blue it was."

Thanks for all that great info that only experience can provide. I'm sure you just saved someone some heartache on their build.

Decompiler:
Sorry about the emergency. Hope all goes well.

Thanks again for all of the great information being volunteered by all of you!
This is what this site is all about.

You know how you get a new car, and all of the sudden you start seeing them everywhere you look? - Well, I have never seen a motoredbike where I live, and now I have seen two of them in one week. I wasn't able to talk to them, but I think we are on the cutting edge of something that is going to really take off!

Finally,

I think Crabdance summed it up well:

"Thanks for having this thread. I have been reading and re-reading it trying to learn the ups and and downs of installing a engine kit on the moon dog. Seems like there are lots of little things to take into consideration. This all helps me a lot 'cause I'm new at this and not very mechanical. This will be a sink or swim method"

This is what I was looking for when starting my research, and now thanks to all of your contributions, anyone who is interested in the
Kulana Moondog as a build, they will have many of the "little" unknown idiosyncrasies involved in this project - resolved.

Keep um coming!

Troy Fitz.

Back