Tranny comparisons for frame mounted motors

Are there any cheap gear reductions for 4 strokes?

Those all appear to be for the Chinese 2 strokes. Besides the Staton unit, are there similar setups that will bolt on to the Honda mini engines or even Briggs and Strattons etc? Something to eliminate jackshafts?

All of those

These trans will bolt on most all minis. I have one on a 33 Robin /Subu - fits the 31 something Honda too. The best one 3 to 1 fits all. Most gearboxes or CVTs will reverse your motors rotation so thats why my drives are all on the ri8ght.

gear reduction

Ok, thanks. I guess that's what you said in the first place and I was just going by the pictures. I'm thinking of building a front wheel drive bolt on unit and if I used something like this, I would just need to turn the engine around the other way. How about mounting a traditional Comet type clutch to one of these? Can this be done or do I need to go another route? My drive wheel has a 60 tooth sprocket that uses #35 chain. One of the off the shelf jobs from northerntool.

China Gear Box

I was mistaken with my post that the standard Gearbox that I use had a 3 to 1. It is really a 5 to 1. Still Best for the $$.

I was mistaken with my post that the standard Gearbox that I use had a 3 to 1. It is really a 5 to 1. Still Best for the $$.

Hey, may I know where I could get ahold of the 5 to 1 gearbox? I live in Asia, so i would prefer if the shop could ship direct from china. If it isn't possible, however, they could still ship to a relative's house of mine in the US. :)

Last edited:
that was great

i m pretty sure the right sided drive tranny's are 5 to 1 not 3 to one , i would love to find a three to one though , i use these with all my bikes , they are great ,

Staton 18.75 to 1 Gearbox

I have well over 500 miles on this set up now & it is by far the best of any that I have tryed. The gears are very quiet & mounting is solid as a rock. I did a very similar set up on a Whizzer & this bike is easier to start & shifts a lot smoother. It's reliable too. The last 10 times out there were no mechanical adjustments needed at all. I want to do this same set up with a 4 stroke Honda or Robin/Subaru.
IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

Back