Tube brand - recommendations

Had it happen to a friend.. we had been drinking in a city centre pub for about an hour, after riding BMX in town... Having a nice relaxed time.. then BANG! and everyone in the place hit the floor. :eek:
SO embarrassing. I was glad it was my friend's bike not mine lol. :oops:
I guess the temperature went up and with it the pressure. We apologised profusely. :oops::oops::oops:

I didn't hear no noise last night and I'm sure if something popped some one in the house would have heard it and informed me. Maybe it wasn't a all out blow out maybe it was a small tear that proceeded to get larger.

But for me its no big deal I can pull the tuffy liner out. Was a b**ch to get in anyways with the tube. The tube just doesn't fit the rim worth a s**t nor the tire so you cant partially inflate the tube have to put it all together pretty much empty and then inflate. Maybe that was my problem. But I did the rear tire the same way and its fine still holding air.

I didn't hear no noise last night and I'm sure if something popped some one in the house would have heard it and informed me. Maybe it wasn't a all out blow out maybe it was a small tear that proceeded to get larger.
Maybe.. who knows.
I suggest that you buy two tubes. Actually better make it three. Leave the Mr Tuffy in place and if it happens again ditch the tyre liners.
Did you read the linked bike forums thread? Some were recommending to modify the liner edge, so that is something that you can try if it turns out to be a liner chafing issue and you still want to persevere with the liners. I have never used them myself.
The rim/tyre bead install is still suspect no1 for me but it's not proven. I'm only sure the tube is the victim and not the perpetrator here.

I suggest that you buy two tubes. Actually better make it three. Leave the Mr Tiffy in place and if it happens again ditch the tyre liners.
Did you read the linked bike forums thread? Some were recommending to modify the liner edge, so that is something that you can try if it turns out to be a liner chafing issue and you still want to persevere with the liners. I have never used them myself.

I purchased a 2 pack of the Tac9 which is a reboxed Kenda tube. That should give me one spare. I was thinking that as well. From the looks of it the front tire the bead looked more seated than the rear does. The tire has this hashmark around the wire bead and my front tire you see none of the hashmarks but my rear I tried to get the tire to go further down about half an hour ago by deflating the tube and seeing if the tire would go on more and it wouldn't. But all around the edge you see a faint line of hashmarks around the bead.

So I don't know if its the rear tire is not fully installed to the bead or if the front tire when I did it I put it too far on and it caused this problem.

But for me if this happens again to the front I will pull the liner out and go from there. If it does it yet again then I will have to inspect the tire and rim to see if there is a sharp edge or something that is causing this.

For the liner I don't need it, I only got it as a safety to prevent a flat tire so I don't have to walk it home. For me when I was growing up riding bikes I didn't have tube problems till later on in life and I think that was due to cheaper thinner tubes that were more prone to rupturing.

I'm still thinking that the bead wasn't seated all the way and when it popped out the tube suffered rapid decompression. Is the split down low on the side of the tube? If you are running the cyclops cst's mine also show a little of the hash marks above the rim. You might be able to see it here.View media item 60645

I'm still thinking that the bead wasn't seated all the way and when it popped out the tube suffered rapid decompression. Is the split down low on the side of the tube? If you are running the cyclops cst's mine also show a little of the hash marks above the rim. You might be able to see it here.View media item 60645

Who knows. the slice I didn't pull the tube the bike is sitting on the rim with the tube under it but the slice in the tube looks in the middle to more on the top of the side of the tube where the split is.

I'm running the C249 CST I got it from BikeTiresDirect as Niagra was screwing me around so I got it for the same price via price match but this is the tire here.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/catego...-bicycle-tire-wire-bead-26-x-2-125-white-wall

Back