Turn signals & lights

Wolfie65

Local time
10:41 PM
Got the BBR -actually Ching Yi or something like that - 3-in-1 turn signal and light set from BikeBerry, it has a front unit which mounts to the handlebar and has all the controls and a rear unit, which mounts to the seat post and takes batteries.
It also has a little wire with a tiny 'accordion' at the end and a little screw that is obviously supposed to attach to something, so I thought maybe you could run the unit off the magneto via the much-maligned white wire.
However, BikeBerry customer service say no.
Haven't actually tried it yet, what say you ?

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
12:41 AM
Is this what you're referring to?

Just realize these lights can only be seen at night. They're useless during the day. If I remember correctly they run on 3 volts of DC

Wolfie65

Local time
Most bikes I see around here don't even have reflectors and the only ones using lights are the lycra & spandex Lance Armstrongs-in-training.
So far, I'm using 1 blinkie red in the rear for night time and a pretty old but surprisingly bright white one in the front for special situations - like crossing a foot freeway overpass popular with bums sleeping on it. That one eats batteries like you wouldn't believe.

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
I had those lights on the LandRider. Was constantly having to do repairs on them. Unfortunately many drivers today don't know what hand signals mean. That's why I now use brake and signal lights that can be seen during the day and night.

Wolfie65

Local time
Hand signals ? Ha !
I've also completely given up on bells, they are ignored or not even heard when plugged into some tracking device (code names: 'smart phone' 'MP3 player' etc.) and horns, they just scare people and make them mad.
And riding in traffic, all the above are utterly useless anyway.

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
I have a loud horn, a low volume, and a pedestrian bell. The loud horn can be heard in a closed-compartment vehicle. The low volume horn is for cyclists and pedestrians when my engine is running. The bell is for when my engine isn't running. Circumstances determine which horn I use.

FrizzleFried

Local time
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that extra wire is for the "brake detection". I am guessing you install it somewhere that it will detect when your brake lever is pulled. This is only a guess... and I did very badly on the Price is Right "traveling show" (with Chuck Woolery).

:)

FrizzleFried

Local time
I have a loud horn, a low volume, and a pedestrian bell. The loud horn can be heard in a closed-compartment vehicle. The low volume horn is for cyclists and pedestrians when my engine is running. The bell is for when my engine isn't running. Circumstances determine which horn I use.

Me? I'd love to install an AIR HORN to my bike! Just too much weight.

:devilish:

EDIT: Though I could think outside the box and strap a canned-air-horn device to the handlebars! :D