Use your phone as a speedometer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GPS does not need cell phone service to access via apps like speedometer. #tested
#correct, as in you can use any ol' tracfone with GPS capability and you can use it without any cell phone service to act as a speedometer.

This is basically what I do now on occasion, since I switched phones because I broke the digitizer portion of my screen and I simply put a layer of scotch tape over the cracked glass, and walaa my old phone is a permanent speedometer for my bike, with the added feature of 911 on speed dial in an emergency,which works regardless of the fact that the phone has had absolutely no cell service for well over a year.

I hope to make it a totally permanent part of the bike's "dashboard" so to speak, and enclose it in a tamper proof case, with a remote way to turn the screen on so that the touchy feely out there can't mess with it, I think a small magnetic switch replacing the power key would be ideal, and have a special magnet in a dongle to activate it.

Yeah anyway my thoughts... With a bullet train I could intigrate a charging circuit to the phone which would keep it juiced up, the only downside is the visibility in bright weather, where an lcd performs great, the led screen on the phone can be difficult to see, toss in sunglasses and you may as well be walking on the sun.

Then at night it's the brightest most easy to see and read speedometer you could imagine, while an lcd is kinda hard to read In the dark without light to illuminate the panel.

Then again, if you've rode the bike enough or even drove enough you should have a general sense of how fast you're moving anyway, I can probably pace myself within a couple miles an hour of 25mph, since I've driven that speed regularly on both roads and off road conditions, and with time you get a feel for the engine revs and how the correlate to your actual speed, since direct drives have a simple speed to engine rpms ratio.

I don't use the speedometer often, or the app, but I have on certain occasions, for the most part I can judge my speed and I keep up with the traffic rather well, so I just go with the flow and pay attention to the assholes who can't drive instead of a fancy gadget on my dashboard of A BICYCLE.

I use this. It's a GoXT. Works great.

Attachments

• IMG_20170506_063317073.jpg
    IMG_20170506_063317073.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 197
On a bicycle I wouldn't even go as far as buying a new phone, plenty of cheap phones on Craigslist, for 20 bucks or less I can have a GPS enabled device that I couldn't car less about, and the crappier the better when it comes to something that ultimately is an add on that could be damaged or stolen at some point due to its nature and environment. At least my cracked phone can be left on a bike and even the crackheads will avoid it because it looks so sh*tty..

I don't have anything I use yet to determine my speed, I think I'm just going to use a cheap cyclocomputer, I've seen them at the local wal store for about 5 bucks, when it dies just throw it in the garbage and buy a new one.

Went on a hunt for the cheapest used Android.
A855 Motorola Droid 2.

And a keyboard, this is that old glass and metal model that would chip. Nice little bike computer!

I don't have anything I use yet to determine my speed, I think I'm just going to use a cheap cyclocomputer, I've seen them at the local wal store for about 5 bucks, when it dies just throw it in the garbage and buy a new one.
That's the most accurate and reliable method anyhow. Phone GPS should only be used for navigation. The minimum accuracy for GPS is 7.8 meters and the average cell phone GPS accuracy is 4.9 meters under a clear sky, in the desert with zero obstructions. That wouldn't be a problem if it was a constant offset, but it can fluctuate, especially in areas with obstructions. Signal reliability is notoriously bad with most cell phone GPS. Compare that with a properly configured digital cycle computer that can be almost perfectly accurate under all conditions.

That's the most accurate and reliable method anyhow. Phone GPS should only be used for navigation. The minimum accuracy for GPS is 7.8 meters and the average cell phone GPS accuracy is 4.9 meters under a clear sky, in the desert with zero obstructions. That wouldn't be a problem if it was a constant offset, but it can fluctuate, especially in areas with obstructions. Signal reliability is notoriously bad with most cell phone GPS. Compare that with a properly configured digital cycle computer that can be almost perfectly accurate under all conditions.
Ok but let's face the facts, a cycle computer is pretty damn lame in even it's finest aspects, a cell phone has extra functionality and even a becon for the police in a worst case scenario. How often do you use the speedometer? Well I certainly don't rely on it often enough to buy a highly specialized tool.

Look, it's less accurate, but it's a nicer touch, and can even help you talk yourself out of a police encounter (has GPS speed, can record the encounter, can be used to dial help quickly (safe), maybe holds a pdf of helpful state legislation)

I found that the GPS was generally accurate enough, I could guess my speed and be within a couple mph of what the GPS says I'm doing. It's good enough and seems to hold well with my truck's speedometer. I turned down a free 40 dollar cateye cycle computer recently, I just don't see any real improvement over my damaged phone I already owned.

Ok but let's face the facts, a cycle computer is pretty damn lame in even it's finest aspects, a cell phone has extra functionality and even a becon for the police in a worst case scenario. How often do you use the speedometer? Well I certainly don't rely on it often enough to buy a highly specialized tool.

Look, it's less accurate, but it's a nicer touch, and can even help you talk yourself out of a police encounter (has GPS speed, can record the encounter, can be used to dial help quickly (safe), maybe holds a pdf of helpful state legislation)

I found that the GPS was generally accurate enough, I could guess my speed and be within a couple mph of what the GPS says I'm doing. It's good enough and seems to hold well with my truck's speedometer. I turned down a free 40 dollar cateye cycle computer recently, I just don't see any real improvement over my damaged phone I already owned.

Well I always have my cellphone on me for use in all those other circumstances, and I can use it for navigation if necessary but so far I haven't needed it for that on my MB.
A wired cycle computer that is set up is pretty reliable too, can use in wet weather without worry.

Velcro schmelcro...Here is my phone spedometer setup.

I started with a set of handlebar clamps that fit my handlebars.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=handlebar+clamps

I then cut a piece of sheet metal to hold a waterproof cell phone case and a tachomoter. The case is zip tied to the sheet metal base.

51stid.jpg

If you don't want to build anything, this case has a handlebar mount all in one.

https://www.amazon.com/WayWay-Holde...98451&sr=8-2&keywords=bicycle+cell+phone+case

I am running Thunder Spedometer on android.

2dwbyc4.jpg

Thunder Spedometer has cool analog gauges with moving needles and a bunch of different color themes. You can also set the max mph on the gauge down as low as 25 mph if you want.

And yes, you can buy a $19 android tracphone at Walmart and use it without activation or a phone plan.

You can connect the phone to wifi and download the maps for your zipcode so you can use navigation in google maps offline too. It works great.

Throw some tunes on the phone and grab one of these bluetooth earbuds and you can listen to tunes while riding and still hear cars around you.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Go...rd_wg=Qd6ZK&psc=1&refRID=7HD698PGKWJ3452EGYPP

ref=pd_sim_107_16

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back