Used cooking oil as MB fuel?

bilboby, the mix is a straightforward volumetric ratio. Doesn't matter if you are measuring in cc's or ounces, so long as the ratio is correct and both fuel and oil are measured in the same units.

NB: Off topic but is their a way off exactly measuring the oil/gas mixture for european weights & measures for a 2ltr tank? Only asking cus i'm sure i'm using to much 2 stroke oil when mixing thus often seeing black smoke coming from the exhaust.

this is a a gas/oil ratio calculator that is both metric and Imperial

http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

and yeah, as Simon said, ratios are absolute no matter what units of measure you are using

Among others, Northern Hydraulic sells biodiesel processors to convert vegetable oil (new or used) to diesel. Here's s link to one of theirs. Using this approach, no modifications are needed for the diesel engines.

Apparently, you mix in some methanol and KOH or NaOH (as the catalyst) as a part of the conversion process.

NH sells 4 or 5 different models - from the basic, $2500 manual model above where you measure and add the chemicals to the tank, to a $13000 unit where you fill the tanks, "press the big green button, and walk away."

Apparently, the process takes a couple of days to finish- the oil gets circulated and mixed during the processing, which removes the glycerin from the oil.

They also state that, if you have a source of vegetable or animal-based oil, the remaining costs are about 85 cents a gallon. (If you contract to haul away used cooking oil for free from the fast food joints, and you could pay for the processor in a couple of months...)

Last edited:
A non MB friend who read this thread whilst on a visit last night suggest's my topic is pointless as he say's that given the MB gas tank holds only 2 gallon it's still very cheap riding compared to used vegi/animal fat oil. I replied & told him that my thread was not really about cheap riding but more about green eco riding as i'm aware that 2 stroke engine emissions are very pollutant. Alas i've still not convinced him that MB riding should be taken seriously.....

Happy MB riding

73's

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Good luck convincing your friend. Persistence may pay off in the end, if he's not of the horse mindset.

Back