Velosolex Build

21 is about top speed. The Velo came out in/around 1946? So the forks are pretty well known to hold up. There is a later welded front end, but the forks are still pressed as I remember. Heck the whole frame is pressed parts!
OK, I was thinking they'd be pretty pitted with rust. The Honda ct90s are all pressed frames and hold up great, I was just unsure of pressed forks, to me that sounds a little sketchy

Could you give a list of things needed for the plating process? I have looked into it a little, but not alot. The parts look good btw
You need pure nickel. I bought a 1x6” piece for $10 shippied on Amazon. After that a glass container, salt, vinegar, and an electrical source. Low voltage is better. I use an 1800mah phone charger. Plenty of good vids on youtube.

OK, I was thinking they'd be pretty pitted with rust. The Honda ct90s are all pressed frames and hold up great, I was just unsure of pressed forks, to me that sounds a little sketchy
The thing was conceived to be cheap transportation after the war. Its not built to good ole American standards, but it works and proved safe. Part by part it looks real sketchy, but as a unit its pretty stout.

I'm guessing it looks more complicated than it is.
You only have to make the plating fluid which I let run over night, and it didn't reduce the anode much. After that its just prepping the part and cleaning it super clean. Most small parts plate in 30-60 seconds. Larger ones longer.

I assume you mean plating? It depends on the container size. You can plate one end then the other and there is no “seam” line. A tall jar might do best. You need a somewhat deep bath of fluid for good electrical transfer. Look on youtube, there are large pans with multiple anode adjustable positions that allow things of different lengths to plate. I would think a fender stay would double dip fine. Here is a pic of a brass flag holder I double dipped plated.

From what I have read low voltage is best. Some use small batteries even.

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpeg
    IMG_0931.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 56
I assume you mean plating? It depends on the container size. You can plate one end then the other and there is no “seam” line. A tall jar might do best. You need a somewhat deep bath of fluid for good electrical transfer. Look on youtube, there are large pans with multiple anode adjustable positions that allow things of different lengths to plate. I would think a fender stay would double dip fine. Here is a pic of a brass flag holder I double dipped plated.

From what I have read low voltage is best. Some use small batteries even.
I was thinking of a box lined with a trash bag. My 5Star has a couple slightly rust stays, I could probably polish them 0000 steel wool and Autosol.

Back