very noob choke question...

Rick73

Local time
10:08 AM
ok i know this is probably a real noob and stupid question but i have to ask anyways. when I first start the bike should I have the choke open or closed? I been starting it mid way and then having the choke all the way open ( like the picture shows ) am I damaging the engine or am I doing it right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180117-221504.png
    Screenshot_20180117-221504.png
    400.1 KB · Views: 96
ok i know this is probably a real noob and stupid question but i have to ask anyways. when I first start the bike should I have the choke open or closed? I been starting it mid way and then having the choke all the way open ( like the picture shows ) am I damaging the engine or am I doing it right?
Choke increases the richness of the mixture, making the engine easier to start in certain conditions when cold. The usual procedure is to have the choke closed or as closed as you need it to be until the warms up, and then you can open it up. Using the choke is not always necessary though and no position should damage a working engine. It's just there if you need it.

Choke increases the richness of the mixture, making the engine easier to start in certain conditions when cold. The usual procedure is to have the choke closed or as closed as you need it to be until the warms up, and then you can open it up. Using the choke is not always necessary though and no position should damage a working engine. It's just there if you need it.

thanks

ok so bike will not start with the choke closed it has to be open.. is that a bad thing?

ok so bike will not start with the choke closed it has to be open.. is that a bad thing?
No, it just means the air/fuel mixture is already rich enough to start and run the engine in cold weather. Rich is good for the break-in stage, as long as it runs. It probably means that it could take a smaller size jet, but hey, the weather will be warming soon and you may make other changes to the engine that affect what jet size is the "perfect" one; so for now I wouldn't change anything with the carb.

No, it just means the air/fuel mixture is already rich enough to start and run the engine in cold weather. Rich is good for the break-in stage, as long as it runs. It probably means that it could take a smaller size jet, but hey, the weather will be warming soon and you may make other changes to the engine that affect what jet size is the "perfect" one; so for now I wouldn't change anything with the carb.

good. ya I'm in Illinois bandits been cold

Back