Want to build a quiet 4 stroke that my wife will like!

All I can say is that Fabian is hanging out with the wrong women or I just got lucky. My wife is all for this project once we talked about it. You do have to talk to the woman Fabian, not just go off and do things, then find out how they like it later. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

All I can say is that Fabian is hanging out with the wrong women or I just got lucky.

You just got lucky; maybe real lucky, but don't let your guard down because she might be lulling you into a false sense of enjoyment.
At the end of this project she may demand an outrageously expensive set of jewelry as compensation for time spent with your motorized bicycle hobby, and not with her cliquey girlfriends.

At the end of this project which could result in a train wreck of a relationship, you may hear the words so common to all men when trying to drag their girlfriend or wife into this hobby:

I was only doing it for you; to make you happy.

You will then have to pay the piper, and women know the difference between a cubic zirconia and a real diamond; 9 carat gold and 24 carat gold, plated and solid all the way through, till it burns a hole in your hip pocket.

Don't underestimate the capacity of women to bankrupt you when they appear to take an interest in your hobbies.

Sawdust, please let us know how this all works out.
You may well have a one in a million wife.

I know of one female who rides a peddler (spandex/triathlon type), and see one girl (similar) out on the road occasionally. That is it.

Maybe the odds are one in a hundred million that would like a motorized peddler?

Thread hijack, Hey Prof I read one of your posts where you silenced a 79cc HF motor at both ends (one pic of the welded intake silencer).I'm interested in making a Tanaka 40cc near quiet as a RS EH035, can you please go deeper into your intake silencer and exhaust?
Thanks.

Actually Grinin, the intake is stock, exhaust has a muffler I made, which leads to twin 1/2 inch (NPT) cigar shape muffs -like from a 3hp mower (twin for a tad more umph). The big thing is a long system. The longer the better.
For your smaller motor, you could consider using the cigar muffs in series- anywhere in the system.

I need to get my wife on her first motorized bike so she can see how much fun it is. It will need to be quiet and sedate. A small 4 stroke kit on a 26 inch cruiser would be the way to go I think. I will probably build one for myself as well if she can tolerate it. What's the best engine setup for this type of ride?

We are in Thousand Oaks and I have had many motorcycles and A Classic Whizzer or 2. Always too loud or too fast for her.

I am currently building a Sportsman 200 for myself as well.
Thanks!
dadzers

I would recommend a 25cc four stroke engine.
I have a Honda GX35 on a friction kit, and it is a (bit) fast.

The only problem with the 25cc, is if your wife does not like motorized bicycles, than you will be stuck with a engine/kit that is not good for heavy people, or people that like a little bit of speed.

If money is an issue, and you would like a high demand resale value, I would go with a Honda GX 35 fiction kit.

Perhaps you should do the following things.

1.) Get her a bicycle style and a color that she likes, and also a bike she is comfortable on. Go shopping with her to pick out the bike. I highly recommend pedal brakes, because my lever brakes do not function well.

2.) Also buy a bicycle helmet that she likes, and buy a bicycle bag she likes, so she can bring things along on trips.

3.) Plan your first ride with her very carefully. Plan a ride in non-stressful areas without constant stop and goes.

4.) Make a ride plan in areas she likes to go, or would like to go.

5.) Perhaps you could put her favorite food and drink into your backpack, and stop somewhere and have a (nice) lunch.

And remember that not everyone likes riding motorized bikes.

But if you really want her to like it, I would go with a 25cc.
Its just like if you brought your wife to the gun range, chances are she would have a much better time shooting a 22 pistol, rather than a 9mm or 357 mag pistol (because the 22 has less recoil.)

The 25cc will be smaller, lighter, and much easier to ride.

Good luck,
Chad.

Last edited:
You just got lucky; maybe real lucky, but don't let your guard down because she might be lulling you into a false sense of enjoyment.
At the end of this project she may demand an outrageously expensive set of jewelry as compensation for time spent with your motorized bicycle hobby, and not with her cliquey girlfriends.

At the end of this project which could result in a train wreck of a relationship, you may hear the words so common to all men when trying to drag their girlfriend or wife into this hobby:

I was only doing it for you; to make you happy.

You will then have to pay the piper, and women know the difference between a cubic zirconia and a real diamond; 9 carat gold and 24 carat gold, plated and solid all the way through, till it burns a hole in your hip pocket.

Don't underestimate the capacity of women to bankrupt you when they appear to take an interest in your hobbies.

Its true. They are liable to do that alright. Also if they find out the jewelry is stuff you found on the street, or someone left you in their will or otherwise took very little effort on your part to procure then they suddenly don't appreciate it anymore. Its not about the actual washer made of Au with a lump of carbon on top, its the idea that you yourself broke your back working to buy them something utterly useless that turns them on.

Nothing like a healthy bit of cynicism to keep a man going. Or realism as i like to call it

In no way do i want to discourage you, but the most likely outcome is that your wife will ride it once and then decide that the time could have been better spent at a coffee shop with her girlfriends discussing reality TV, fashion, and singing competitions like X-factor, America's got talent etc.

I've seen this happen before.
At the end of the day the result will be that you'll feel unwanted and neglected and sidelined because your wife (after one ride) will show no interest in a hobby that gives you so much enjoyment.

From my experience in life i've found that women want 4 things

1) A mirror, for self adoration of her own image and to reinforce delusional concepts of her personal self worth.
2) A multitude of clothing apparel and accessory options like shoes and jewelry.
3) A never ending amount of of massively overvalued cosmetics to boost her feeling of self worth, which feeds back into No 1
4) A best "g.a.y male" friend to discuss everything that is wrong with her relationship and everything that is wrong with you and options to finding a better man.

A motorized bicycle is the furthest thing on her mind - a bit like living in the North Pole with out a television and a mirror and cosmetics.

In one word, GEEZE.

All I can say is that Fabian is hanging out with the wrong women or I just got lucky. My wife is all for this project once we talked about it. You do have to talk to the woman Fabian, not just go off and do things, then find out how they like it later. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Count me lucky too I guess, wife and I have been married for 53 years. We have always had shared interests and hobbies, from horses, skin diving, (free diving, not scuba) snowmachines, ATVs, camping, hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting and firearms in general. She is 72 and still reloads her own ammunition for the guns she shoots, in fact, she has more guns than I do.

Homepage: http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/Index.html

I bought a Schwinn Meridian trike and am in the process of setting it up, after she has now ridden it a couple of times, I see another one coming up soon.

Back