What A Horrible Misalignment!

Hey Kep1a:

Those are certainly words of encouragement, as I have been getting from all of you!

Unfortunately, the man I bought the bike from is a Used Car Dealer, who occasionally sold a Whizzer as a sideline, but since shipping charges from Taiwan have gone way over $100 per unit, he's out of the Whizzer sales business permanently, having sold his last NE5, which was the slip-clutch model that I wanted to trade Oscar for.

I sure hope that getting the clutch rebuilt will be the end of this hassle, but I also have to be concerned (so they tell me) about the bad stock valve lifters.

What's next, I wonder...a dissolving connecting rod or a crumbling crankshaft?

Hardened Hal

Last edited:
The problems you are experiencing have been occurring for a number of years now. That is why there are solutions to the problems and good folks like Quentin and Mike and others to share them. However that foreknowledge lay in some research time before you bought the bike that you forgot to do. Perhaps go back and read Quentins threads or search Whizzer on here now that you have a better understanding and you will find perhaps the largest wealth of info on the past and current breed available?

These are hard times economically and the first thing that go are the toys. I would suggest that you pass the bike that you have on and shop for a restored/rebuilt Whizzer that all the issues have been addressed? I bet you could find one for about the same price or less than what you paid for Oscar. Or buckle down, do your homework, get the necessary parts, bust out the Snap On's and make yours, well, yours?

And while friction drive may seem MM to you to others they are a means to an end. Cheap transportation that is fun to boot. You certainly don't hear alot of complaints from that sector anyway.

Hey Mabman:

Upon careful consideration, I must agree with the late Sgt. Rundquist of my former Parole Board, when he stated:

"It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide."

Throughout my 10-1/2 years of Retirement from the Aerospace industry, I've found these are very good words to live by.

Sincerely...
Harold Pollner

(Happy New Year)

Attachments

• PICTURES 004.jpg
    PICTURES 004.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 171
You're right Ren about this Forum. Without it & the great people on it my 99 would be sitting in a corner with a blown WC1 top end & I wouldn't know what to do. I've also made some really good friends here, and hey Kilroy & RdKryton when are you coming for supper?

Hi Hal & Oscar,

Hal, "sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you". I only used this quote to tell you sometimes we can change the results in our favor. First and foremost I need to tell you I really like Whizzer motorbikes and that is why I own so many, both vintage & new edition. You can make your Whizzer a joy to own and ride with a few minor changes, but considering the original savings when you purchased Oscar, it wouldn't take much more effort or money to bring him up to par. As witnessed by many on this website, the new edition Whizzer can be made into durable transportation and a joy to own & ride.

Many times I have posted information about the new edition Whizzer clutch, and I have modified hundreds with great results. As stated in an earlier post the recent version of the auto clutch does operate differently than the go-cart clutches of yesteryear. My automatic clutch on my 1950 Whizzer Pacemaker also operates differently that the go-cart clutches, and in fact slides into lock, but a little quicker. Because of the weight, air resistance, and large wheels, the Whizzer works much better if the clutch slides into lock, but as stated in an earlier post, just let off the throttle a little and it will connect up quicker. To me the best part of the clutch is it allows me to control the engagement better, somewhat like "slipping" the belt on the manual clutch version when I need to unload the motor to climb a steep hill.

I know you were considering trading "Oscar" for the manual clutch, but I can tell you the coaster brake would have made you really unhappy.

Consider this, "Oscar" just needs a few minor changes and you can enjoy "riding the bear".

Happy New Year All,

Attachments

• Pacemaker1950.jpg
    Pacemaker1950.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 172
auto vs. slip clutch

Probably the thing I like best about my autoclutch (and there's lots of things I like about it better than the slip clutch) is that it idles better when stopped because it's not (how can I say this best?) under load like it was when the slip clutch lever was pulled in.

Last edited:
You're Right, Quenton!

By paying only $1150 for a new (2005) unsold NE-5. I can afford to dump some cash into Oscar to make him "Bullet-Proof"!

Ok...I'll go for the clutch rebuild! How do I proceed?

(That's a very sanitary-looking 1950 Pacemaker...I thought they were ALL slip-clutches in that era.)

HAL

Attachments

• PICTURES 112.jpg
    PICTURES 112.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
"It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide."

I don't know what the heck that means.... but I'm gonna start saying it.... frequently.... & often!!
:)

Hal, I'm glad you decided to go the extra mile with Oscar.
Best of luck to ya!!

Happy New Year!!!

Clutch upgrade will allow you to have a reliable smooth working clutch. The pulley alignment is another issue all together. Alignment will require machining to make that arm tight fitting and aligned. I suggest Quentons alignment fix. If you can manage that yourself cool, otherwise I suggest contacting Quenton for help. As for me I have not yet addressed that issue. One step at a time is all I can manage for now LOL.

I just spent all day today moving 8 tons of rebar to make room for dirt. We all have our own rats to slug LOL.

Kep1a

Hal, I'm glad you've decided to keep Oscar and continue on the quest to make him "bullet-proof". Once Quenton upgrades the clutch and you get the mushroom lifters installed, you should be very close. My Whizzer "Baxter" (since it's black & white like a skunk, I named it after "Skunk" Baxter) is just about there, with the pulley alignment to take care of being my only remaining issue. Sure, I also plan to install a higher performance head, but that has nothing to do with Baxter's reliability. That's just a performance upgrade to haul my carcass up these hills a bit better.

Attachments

• 100_0740a.jpg
    100_0740a.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Back