What gas tank styles would you choose???

Status
Not open for further replies.
substitute with an oil tank

Rear mounted tanks are a problem for MBc members because plenty of people want them and they seem to want the cylindrical old style of tank that can go behind the seat. They seem to be very hard to get unless you are lucky enough to source a vintage tank from old motor equipment.

Oil tanks for choppers could be substituted for a behind the seat fuel tank and they are fairly easy to get but they come at a price. The ones I have seen are somewhere between $150 to $250. Peej If you are looking for some design types try

http://www.choppersurplus.com/np/oiltanks/index.html

Last edited:
Now, I know I've seen plenty of good solutions for rear rack and underrack tanks that would be cheap. Most were lawn mower, atv, or generator tanks. Plain, long rectangular tanks that are simple center seam construction. Like in the first pic?.

Good idea Tomaz for the oil bag as a tank. and. As IJohn pointed out, the cylindrical rear tank would be a good looking tank choice. I assume he is talking about a shape that is like the round oil tank on the Chopper link from above or like the pics below. It has a clean look and could be modified as a DC holder. I think the round oil tank style would be more popular than a humpback fender tank.

People like modern convienence with vintage charm. I love my vintage Lambretta with double disc hydraulic brakes, for example.

Peej

Attachments

• rear tank.jpg
    rear tank.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 442
  • rear tank2.jpg
    rear tank2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 313
  • rear tank3.jpg
    rear tank3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 312
  • rear tank4.jpg
    rear tank4.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 328
I think the smaller one looks better but the long one would present problems mounting it on a curved top tube like you have on your bike.

Well.... assuming it slightly hangs over the side the same way the small one does, one could fill the gaps with bits of rubber. I actually have that on the small tank as it rattles otherwise.

Make sense? The mid section would be right up against the bar, but both ends would have rubber spacers in there.

I want one! That little one just doesn't hold enough to go very far.

It actually would be too high above the tube at both ends and despite rubber packing wouldn't look good. You could mount it at the rear. can you tell me what make of bike that is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a bike with a old round lawn mower tank on the rear that's what I like just waiting for the straps leather would be cool but I found some stainless steel zip ties I'm gonna try first.

Got Rice?

Ok, let me run this buy you guys.

Spookytooth has a tank, bigger than mine and only 20 bucks.
They claim it's a 2.5 liter or 2/3 gal. here.
http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/co...age=vmj_ace.tpl&product_id=157&category_id=93

But then.... I came across this one which is supposed to be a full one gal tank. FOURTY bucks. here.
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/gall...edium=product_search&utm_source=google-simple

Put the two side by side. Both have a top and underside photo.
I SWEAR they look identical.

I wrote to spookytooth. Might take them awhile to reply.

I found a few 5 gal tanks searching google but wow the price shoots into the hundreds of dollars. For that much I'll swing a few extra milk jugs over the back tire with spare fuel! (lol.... not really but you get the idea.)

It actually would be too high above the tube at both ends and despite rubber packing wouldn't look good. You could mount it at the rear. can you tell me what make of bike that is?

It's called a manhattan flyer.
Here.
http://www.manhattancruisers.com/07_flyer6_green.htm

I actually got mine from someone I found on these very forums though. My first motorized bike I asked if someone knew where I could get one with the motor already installed. And low and behold someone showed me this with the motor and everything. I JUMPED at that! LOVE this bike!!!!

Mind you though, the one in the picture there? You WILL want to modify it a bit. I had to remove the tires from BOTH wheels and file down the spokes. All of them were as sharp as knives.
Later I had the rear wheel completely respoked with heavier grade spokes.
(I'm pretty big. Need sturdy to hold my trunk up. After I snapped a few spokes, I had the whole thing redone.)
Then... those cool white wall tires? Forget it. Only hold 40 psi and after fixing flats about every 10 miles, back to these forums. I have real good tires now and liners around the tubes. NO flats at all!!!
Oh and I made a cool faux black leather bag for behind the seat. Complete with fringe. Goes with my ride. (I really should take some newer pictures.)

Anyway, there ya go. That site has links to dealers. Nice bike over all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back