Stolen What The Flying #!@#

I"m going to be getting a good u-lock to pair up with my alarmed cable - it's made by lock alarm, it has 15' of cable ( good for locking up the Xtracycle since it's about 7' long), if the lock unit is tampered with or the cable cut it has a 120db alarm. I would def say two locks - two different types would be good.

ooh another good one for you guys to consider - this wont mount to all bikes , but a cool design - it attaches to your frame, then you have a key & it slides the locking part through your rear wheel, making not able to roll

http://clevercycles.com/store/?c=web2.128&product=LBFRAME

i think it would be cheaper to just put a thick heavy lock on the spoke and the motor chain that will make sure it never gets messed with

turbo/chaos
i think it would be cheaper to just put a thick heavy lock on the spoke and the motor chain that will make sure it never gets messed with

That's what I've done and used a roll of PVC electrical tape around da chain.

While on this note, a locksmif is gonna do some research on bike stuff in the next few days.
But prices off top of the head over the phone without looking anything up, just approximates, for chains that bolt cutters cannot cut is available at about $80 per metre ( just over 3') and "bulletproff padlocks from around $60

So let's say for example these are the prices, then @ around $100 ya got probably as best as can get to lock up ya bike.
The only 2 things I can think of that will get past this, is a blow torch and angle grinder,but not bolt cutters cos the cutting edge is inferior to the steel hardness of the chain and lock, according to a locksmith.

well im going to buy a towing chain for a truck and use it as a lock try and take it then

The only 2 things I can think of that will get past this, is a blow torch and angle grinder,but not bolt cutters cos the cutting edge is inferior to the steel hardness of the chain and lock, according to a locksmith.
So, you spend close to $150~200 for a hardcore chain with acceptable length & lock, on top of your $400~500 or more motorized bicycle... and then I just pay $140 for this portable angle grinder plus the cost of two batteries (in case I forget to charge them the night before) and own your bad arse bike.

Not that I would really do it, but somebody could... which means I'd rather not leave it outside.

I live on a second story and carry my bike up 2 flights of stairs and though it isnt heavy its very akward to carry.
This is my favorite thing about buying the folding bike from Five Flags (even tho I've had one problem with the gearbox & one problem with the motor... had to pay shipping there both times, one time both ways), there is a handle that comes off of this metal plate that the engine is mounted on the rack. Hard to describe it, but there are 4 bolts holding this plate to the rack. If I disconnect those bolts, I can "carry" the engine away so long as the chain, throttle, etc. are also disconnected. Can see crummy pics here: http://fiveflagsmotorbikes.com/GasFoldingBike.htm

Great idea on the handle, tho... it was easily worth $100 to me so I could carry it up my friend's stairs at her apartment. The bike's fairly easy to bring up, since it's only a 20" BMX. I would never trust chains as far as daily security measures go. It's only for while I run in somewhere for a few.

I'm really liking the audible lock idea, too. That and a decent chain, maybe U-Lock, would be about as good as it gets for bike security, IMO.

Last edited:
well the bike has been found sigh the bike has been trashed a black boy came to my house and told me he got a kit new for 40 bucks well it was my kit and he said that the bike was put in the dumpster well the kid came and told and looked very scared and seamed to be saying the trueth so i told him its ok to keep the kit and all just call it a lost so yeah sigh

well im out a bike and engine and still have to build a guy a bike and engine

well as i said they come againe they will have a problem this next time

My best friend just had another bike stolen last night. He got this one back just as he did the last. This time he thumped the thief really hard. Then the thief returned to the bar where he stole my friends bike in ordeer to retrieve his own bike. He was dumb enough to ask my friend nicely if he could retrieve his bike. My friend said "**** NO"! The thief was bummed, but he lost his bike AND got a broken nose. (Many applauding witnesses to both events).
Most of the thieves around here are dumb kids or even dumber weed smokers and crack heads looking to make a quick getaway pushing or riding a bike. The pro's are after motorcycles, not bicycles.
Anything you can do to make it inconvenient for them to push or ride would deter most thives.
In addition to my locking cable I have dilled 3 holes in my drive sprocket into which I can insert a padlock. Even If they cut my cable the bike still won't roll and their getaway is very inconvenienced. Any lock CAN be defeated but most bicycle theives are only interested in a quick and easy score.
Just my opinion, but no one has messed with my bike and I hang out in the same places as my friend. :) <<<(Knocking on wood).

Last edited:
Sparky
So, you spend close to $150~200 for a hardcore chain with acceptable length & lock, on top of your $400~500 or more motorized bicycle... and then I just pay $140 for this portable angle grinder plus the cost of two batteries (in case I forget to charge them the night before) and own your bad arse bike.

Not that I would really do it, but somebody could... which means I'd rather not leave it outside.

yeah, but they gotta buy a $300 portable angle grinder to steal a bike ?

Back