What type of plastic is this?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nuttsy, Feb 5, 2010.

  1. Nuttsy

    Nuttsy Member

    I'm looking for the name of a certain type of REALLY HARD plastic and maybe where to find it. I read a while back on here that someone was using this stuff in place of the tensioner wheel! Since I don't know the name, a search was useless. One of its uses is also artificial ice skating rinks. I think it was maybe an acronym type name--maybe not.
    If anyone knows, please post. A source would be good too.

  2. HoughMade

    HoughMade Guest

  3. Flapdoodle

    Flapdoodle Member

    I think I remember the post you are referring to. If so, it was Delrin. Machines beautifully.
  4. jon scott

    jon scott New Member

    If you are looking for delrin or nylon stock go to mcmaster carr online quick shipping and smaller stock
  5. SimpleSimon

    SimpleSimon Active Member

    Delrin, I imagine.

    Ultra High Molecular Weight plastics typically are not hard, they just wear like iron because they are self lubricating and the degree of polymerization is very high indeed.
  6. Nuttsy

    Nuttsy Member

  7. SimpleSimon

    SimpleSimon Active Member

    You can work UHMW plastics on a wood lathe with wood turning tools. Just run the lathe at its lowest speed, don't get the tool hot. It is good stuff for wear points and such - in the wood industry it is used as wear plates under carrier chains on lumber sorting tables, has been for 20+ years now. For obvious reasons you cannot lubricate the chains themselves.