Who makes a long lasting clutch (2 stroke)

Is there something I'm not catching here? Unless I'm getting as looney as your money I can't see how that would work if those webs were not there. :confused:
The clutch spins four (3 to 5) times faster than the rear sprocket, making the torque a quarter of what it is at the wheel hub so strength is not such a problem.
I think the inner webs on a disc brake rotor take more strain than these webs. They are also joined at both ends, but there are floating rotors.. but they don't have the space between filled up with clutch pad material.
There are still some webs there? I don't think anyone suggested getting rid of all the webs. .

Well it's easy to see that with no webs you would have a non-spinning pressure plate and fly wheel. The outer portion of the ring gear with no steel to hold it centered would go to s**t instantly. I thought it might be cool if they just made a ring gear without the holes and bonded a ring of clutch material to each side of it. I also don't know if clutch material would work like the rubber does with this clamping system. Would it need a stronger spring?
To me it seems that the outer portion of the ring gear (now supported by 66% less spokes/webs) susceptibility to be forced inward would be as much or more of a concern as the spokes shearing with a souped up engine. Time will tell.

The clutch spins four (3 to 5) times faster than the rear sprocket, making the torque a quarter of what it is at the wheel hub so strength is not such a problem.
I think the inner webs on a disc brake rotor take more strain than these webs. They are also joined at both ends, but there are floating rotors.. but they don't have the space between filled up with clutch pad material.
There are still some webs there? I don't think anyone suggested getting rid of all the webs. .
No but it was suggested the webs (or lack of) makes it easier for the basket as it's apparently called to warp and bend at those points since it's got only a 3rd of them.. The thing is how would the motion from the gear be transfered to the pads if not for the webs to push them. Our pads don't sit in a pod they float in a ring.. If the gear had a different system to hold it center (say a big dumbass bearing along the inner lip and a matching shelf on the clutch cover to keep the bearing centered, really stupid I know but for the example it would have to be such) then that would mean the gear just couldn't transfer power to the clutch plate.

I'd also bet that the 5 bits of metal are, in volume, greater than the amount of material in the just the teeth that are meshing (and therefore transferring power down the line.) So I think a third of the normal amount is probably fine. I also look at the fact that those people are still selling those things and certainly people are buying them without complaining, proof of concept and demonstrated performance.

Is it just me or does that special clutch look like a regular one with the "bars" between 3 pads simply removed so 5 larger pads could be used in place of 15 smaller ones.. My initial thought is that a dremel and a 4x5in pad of clutch material with about half an hour of spare time and you could make exactly the same thing.
Same thing i thought but why bother. Just replace the stock pads with HD pads.

Back