Zeda 100 "Max"

However I find it a bit Ironic that a 21century engine would need to run the same amount of oil as my antiques
2 stroke bike motors really have not changed very much over many, many, years...Plus the fact that even the P-85, (Also made by Zeda, ZTMoto, (Zeda Technology Co., LTD) specifically call for 20:1 breakin period of 300 miles and no less than 25:1 thereafter unless under more severe conditions like extreme heat, like how hot it gets here in the high desert where I live, then they tell you to stay at 20:1.

Like you said, gotta do whats right for me and my bike motor...lol.

This is for all intents a hypothetical discussion. But the theory is sound.

Damien
You are doing what is safe with your build, good for you! What ever works that you are satisfied is what you need to do.
However I find it a bit Ironic that a 21century engine would need to run the same amount of oil as my antiques. Both the Maytags and the Villiers run 20:1, I boosted the Maytags up from 16:1 The only bearings in these engines are the rollers on the Villiers big end. The rest are bushings. I run a mix of 2stroke and 30wt, 5oz 30wt 1.5oz two stroke. Mainly to help with port clogging.
All that said, I never mean to sound negative in discussions. I just offer thoughts. Im not stupid enough to BS here. Yall are way too smart. I dont mind being corrected, thats how we all learn here.
They're not high tech or tight tolerances.

21century engine would need to run the same amount of oil as my antiques.
There is nothing 21st century or high tech about any of these engines. Even the most optimistic assessment puts the age of the engine design in the retirement age range, and then they are built out of low quality materials to loose standards of the "good enough" variety.

The most modern design of any of these engines comes from the Stihl saw the Phantom cylinder was based off of, and it's over 20 years old itself, and even realistically most of the design is older than that as they just evolved from previous engines.

The Phantom loves oil because it is a barely altered cylinder design from a forced cooling application being run in open air. Aka, it's a bit hotter than a typical low compression 80cc motor. Run 20:1 on a 66cc engine and it's going to be a smoke machine with a drippy exhaust. 20:1 on the Phantom and it gives a wisp of a cloud out of the tailpipe.

Don't forget two things here either about the Phantom, one is the breakin period is 300 miles or so, the second is to retorque those cylinder nuts on those studs only when completely cold, after every heat cycle. for the first 200 miles or so.

Rocket and myself also do not use those acorn nuts on the motor, but use the open end nuts so they do not bottom out on the top of the studs as Chinese quality control on getting things exact length and size tends to be wanting, so bottoming out on the studs without actually tightening it down properly becomes a real possibility...lol.

Look at the top of my motor in pic below at the nuts on top of my cylinder to see what I am talking about.

Clutch Arm.JPG

Don't forget two things here either about the Phantom, one is the breakin period is 300 miles or so, the second is to retorque those cylinder nuts on those studs only when completely cold, after every heat cycle. for the first 200 miles or so.

Rocket and myself also do not use those acorn nuts on the motor, but use the open end nuts so they do not bottom out on the top of the studs as Chinese quality control on getting things exact length and size tends to be wanting, so bottoming out on the studs without actuall tightening it done properly becomes a real possibility...lol.

Look at the top of my motor in pic below at the nuts on top of my cylinder to see what I am talking about.

View attachment 196736
I just run bolts, but those came stock and I know they are not bottoming out.

Rocket and myself also do not use those acorn nuts on the motor, but use the open end nuts so they do not bottom out on the top of the studs as Chinese quality control on getting things exact length and size tends to be wanting, so bottoming out on the studs without actually tightening it down properly becomes a real possibility...lol.

View attachment 196736
I do too use the acorn nuts.. I use them as a lock nut on top of a regular nut. Remember all the fuss that caused that led to a person being banned because they just couldn't accept it? lol

Back