2stroke or 4

So I'll admit I didn't read the entire page of this but I have to ask.

What's withe everyone saying that 2strokes can't be ridden to far without letting them cool down?

I've ridden my 2stroke Vespa for up to 200 miles, and a few friends of mine have ridden there's on cross country races traveling hundreds of miles a day.

also 4 stroke engines may be less likely to break down, however when they do, you would wish you had a 2stroke because of the simple design you can fix it yourself.

2-stroke needing cool off period ???

What's withe everyone saying that 2strokes can't be ridden to far without letting them cool down?

I've ridden my 2stroke Vespa for up to 200 miles, and a few friends of mine have ridden there's on cross country races traveling hundreds of miles a day.

I think that you have brought up a good point

a smooth running 2-stroke after (let's guess here) an hour of running
is fully warmed up
and even if ran for many hours -- shouldn't over heat

we used these little 2-strokers on water pumps at work
we could pump water all day long -- no problem
one guy took one of our very small pumps home to drain swimming pool
I think that he ran that THING for around 15 or more hours (full throttle)

one THING to remember -- these were quality Japanese made 2-stroke engins....

just will put this one out there while we are at it
when we buy a 2-stroke weed wacker
does it state in the instructions
SHUT DOWN FOR COOLING AFTER AN HOUR OF USE ---------- no

ride that THING

Last edited:
That was a popular misconception here last year. There was another thread, where I believe Zev0 had brought up first, that mentioned 4-strokes are the ones that can't be run WOT all day long, not even close. I dunno if we ever got to the root of that problem, but it's definitely got something to do with its not-so-simple design.

The issue of cross-country trips was also tipped in favor of the 4-strokes because mixing gas would be difficult on such a trip. However, because of the ability to run 2-strokes WOT for extended times... I'd take a 2-stroke for such a venture anyday. I'm sure my bum would also enjoy those few extra minutes off the bike while I'm mixing the gas.

I don't think there is an issue with riding either quality 2 strokes or 4 strokes all day long. The HTs are another story (a fun one, but still another story).

When I was in school, I worked in an equipment rental. We rented equipment for construction jobs, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke, that got used like rental equipment- hard with no mercy and all day. I saw no difference in problems between the two that could be traced to the engine type and it was my job to keep them running, so I would know.

As for running at WOT all day- why? At WOT I get close to 40 mph, but I can cruise comfortably at 30 or a bit above with no strain whatsoever. Why ride balls to the wall all the time...especially "all day"?

Well, "all day" "balls to the wall" riding would only be a concern for someone making a cross-country or at least cross-state venture. That's the only time speed would be important for me.

I don't think it'd be possible to ride at 40mph with a 4-stroke, unless it were over 50cc or you had some nifty gearing... but there'd still be more wear on the engine even with the gearing. Most any other 4-stroke from this forum cruises more along speeds of just over 20mph.

Just sayin', I'll take the 2-stroke for the cross-country ventures.

Me too - with the stock muffler it is... (was)super quiet. I had to open er up a little to get more top end (before I made a custom muffler) You can cruise for at least an hour before..... everything goes numb ! mostly from road vibration.

Forced air cooling or rather the lack of it has a lot to do with overheating problems,and overheating has a lot to do with durability.Stationary engines obviously need this,most moped engines 2stroke or 4 stroke have it too.Most chinese engines don't.Running an engine WOT for long periods of time is bad practice,esp at low speed,unless it is specifically designed for it,(bearings,lubrication,cooling etc).Such engines are not cheap.Power requirements go up with close the THIRD power of speed at higher speeds due to air resistance,it takes about a 60% increase in power to go from 25 to 30mph,a mere 20% speed increase !.To go over 35 mph takes around 2.5 hp at the rear wheel,unless a fairing is used the reduce the aerodynamic drag component.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back