3,078 miles she let the ghost out.

DieselTech

Local time
1:52 PM
Well had not had the Sparesbrook out in a while, decided to drain old gas & refresh with new & go on a ride.

Well I got a nice ride in, but I noticed at the very end of ride, the engine had a different exhaust tone & would not idle.

So I decided to start it again, & adjust the carb a bit. The old Sparesbrook just wouldn't stay idling, & with the new exhaust tone it had, I decided to remove the cylinder head.

Oh God! 3078miles!!! She let the ghost loose.
Not sure what beat my race head & piston up.
I'm betting piston ring locating pin.

What's your thoughts? Piston ring locating pin or wrist pin bearing? Other?
20230906_112328.jpg
20230906_112347.jpg
20230906_112915.jpg

Judging by the 1st pic, I see you had some gasket leakage as shown by the trickle trail of fuel on the left side of pic by both studs...It is a distinct possibility it was running too lean which would produce alot more heat and resulting in scraping the nikelsil coating off the cylinder and winding up on top of the piston and inside the head...It is too much built up debris to be a pin or clip which usually shows itself by huge gouges in the cylinder and the side of the piston when they snap off, not the underneath top of the head and the top of the piston as well as the scoring in the inside of the cylinder that I am seeing here all in a symetrical dispersal pattern as your pics are showing.

Judging by the 1st pic, I see you had some gasket leakage as shown by the trickle trail of fuel on the left side of pic by both studs...It is a distinct possibility it was running too lean which would produce alot more heat and resulting in scraping the nikelsil coating off the cylinder and winding up on top of the piston and inside the head...It is too much built up debris to be a pin or clip which usually shows itself by huge gouges in the cylinder and the side of the piston when they snap off, not the underneath top of the head and the top of the piston as well as the scoring in the inside of the cylinder that I am seeing here all in a symetrical dispersal pattern as your pics are showing.
No I brake cleaned the top of the piston off, that's residual I think from the brake kleen, oil, copper coat.
My 49mm steel bore cylinder faired out fairly good considering whatever let loose.

Lol a hone job & piston, rings, & wrist pin bearing, & I would not be afraid to run it again.

No I brake cleaned the top of the piston off, that's residual I think from the brake kleen, oil, copper coat.
My 49mm steel bore cylinder faired out fairly good considering whatever let loose.

Lol a hone job & piston, rings, & wrist pin bearing, & I would not be afraid to run it again.
Just those trickle leaks alone that I see is telling a different story to me, but then again, I could be wrong...lol...It won't be the first time and I am sure it won't be the last either...lol.

Just those trickle leaks I see is telling a different story to me, but then again, I could be wrong...lol...It won't be the first time and I am sure it won't be the last either...lol.
I'm not saying that isn't from previous cylinder head torquing procedure/heat cycles.

That very well could have been a seeping gasket at some point. It is the first time the head has been off in alot of miles.

Lmao I'm hoping it's just a piston ring locating pin or a wrist pin clip!!😂🤣😂 That gave up the Ghost.

But I'm thinking a needle bearing/pin broke in the wrist pin bearing itself.

Back