33cc

Chainlube

Local time
7:45 AM
Look what landed on my work bench today. Tecumseh 33cc, now what to do with it? Anyone know anything about them?

I was thinking a stand up scooter.

Attachments

• 33cc.jpg
    33cc.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 114
Look what landed on my work bench today. Tecumseh 33cc, now what to do with it? Anyone know anything about them?

I was thinking a stand up scooter.
most likely it was a snowblower engine, are you sure its not 133cc? as thats what most were (early golden ones were 85cc, i have a few in the garage)

it will need a carb rebuild kit, as i can guarantee the diaphragm is shot (unless someone replaced it, which they never do)

its fixed throttle so you have to fab up some sort of cable adapter (i just drilled my throttle linkage out ans added a z bend)

other than missing the scope, it looks complete!

It might be 133 cc, the piston is a good 2 1/2" across, but pretty short stoke. I put new diaphragm in myself. I always install my motors with the carbs level, because of the floats. This carb doesn't have a float and just curious if it would be any angle carb? It would look pretty cool with the cylinder straight up. I could build an intake to come out straight.

It might be 133 cc, the piston is a good 2 1/2" across, but pretty short stoke. I put new diaphragm in myself. I always install my motors with the carbs level, because of the floats. This carb doesn't have a float and just curious if it would be any angle carb? It would look pretty cool with the cylinder straight up. I could build an intake to come out straight.
Yup, there a diaphragm type carb (same one weed eaters use)
Also, there should be a primer button in the bottom of the carb. (Its the bulb and a small hose)
Also, check to see if you installed the base gasket on right, some want it before the diaphragm, some want it after.

You can make it go straight up, there's no bottom bolt pattern on these things so you need to use 1\4 steel (or thicker) and make a side engine mount. I prefer them at a 45° angle myself.

Before deciding on the angle, I'll see what kind of ride I come up with to use it on first.

You're absolutely right on the snowblower, and it does have the primer too. I have the original mount around here some place, something to take a pattern from. I can give it a little more strength by picking up a couple screws on the bottom of the ignition cover.

Before deciding on the angle, I'll see what kind of ride I come up with to use it on first.

You're absolutely right on the snowblower, and it does have the primer too. I have the original mount around here some place, something to take a pattern from. I can give it a little more strength by picking up a couple screws on the bottom of the ignition cover.
Some also came equiped with eletric start, if you check the flywheel, there should be a gear around it. So you could in theory make it eletirc start with spare snowblower parts (toro, MTD and ariens single stage snowblowers all used the same motor, just pick on with eletric start and swap the parts over.
And you could also use the mounts as more lateral reinforcement
(Mine still has the mounting brackets as well, i end up selling the e start for more than what i paid for the whole snowblower!)

No electric start, ha, ha, if I sold any part of it, it would be more than I paid. I was delivering some freight and it was sitting outside, I said to the guy receiving, "What happened, can't get it to run?" He said that piece of crap, you can take it. So I did. Took me twelve minutes to get it to run, but rough. Put in anew diaphragm all good. Disconnect the gov, and she pulls pretty good.
Have you ever honed the carbs? The throat on this one is pretty rough where the jet is.

No electric start, ha, ha, if I sold any part of it, it would be more than I paid. I was delivering some freight and it was sitting outside, I said to the guy receiving, "What happened, can't get it to run?" He said that piece of crap, you can take it. So I did. Took me twelve minutes to get it to run, but rough. Put in anew diaphragm all good. Disconnect the gov, and she pulls pretty good.
Have you ever honed the carbs? The throat on this one is pretty rough where the jet is.
I honestly just put a carb kit in it and call it a day
As i typically just
"buy them Sunday, sell em Monday"

But these engines are VERY hard to kill, ive seen them ran though hell as back and they still run like a dream.
my buddy does driveways with older toro singles, ive swap a single engine though 3 diffrent snowblower frames as he just runs them untill something major fails, but its always the snowblower that fails, never the engine

I brought this one back from the grave. The carb has 20 mm inside and outside but 10 or 12 mm over venturi. Just curious if I cleaned it up whether it would run stronger. Guess I'll have to give it a try and make full report.

I brought this one back from the grave. The carb has 20 mm inside and outside but 10 or 12 mm over venturi. Just curious if I cleaned it up whether it would run stronger. Guess I'll have to give it a try and make full report.
You might get better airflow, you could also get something like a pit bike carb and make a intake adapter

Back