80cc taking half mile to turn over - Now not starting!

nsxcorvette

Local time
6:29 AM
Hello everyone,
I use my 80cc 2-stroke as a daily communter, putting about 30 miles a day on it. My engine is one of the ones that is set up to start when you release the clutch once you're moving. Starting a few days ago, when I would release the clutch, nothing would happen except I would slowly come to a stop. But after a couple tries it would fire right up and be good for as long as I kept it hot. It gotten progressively worse to the point that today it took me almost half a mile of starting and stopping before it would turn over and fire. This afternoon I ran out of gas, and filled it up. I primed it several times. After filling up it ran for a minute but then just keeps turning over and getting no fire. I replacing the gas again using less oil to see if maybe it was too much. So I have two questions:
1. Why is it taking progressively longer to turn over/fire?

2. Why is it all of a sudden not firing at all as soon as I filled up?

Thanks!
CareyWb

Update!

Below is my progress so far with my 2 problems with my bike, in case it helps anyone else that is having something similar.

1. I adjusted the clutch cable out a bit and for now at least, it started turning over every time.

2. Although I didn't have someone to pull me, I went down a series of hills with the clutch out and it finally started firing. Started running, although a bit rough. After that it starts every time. Not sure exactly how that got fixed, but for now it works. Might try changing the gas again since I had to use a crappy gas station today...

Congratulations on your repair!
Yes, if the clutch cable is too tight it can cause the clutch to slip.
The inner wire that attaches to the release arm needs to have a little slack in it when the hand lever is released all the way out.
The release arm should be able to jiggle a little in the cover.
Even the slightest tension, while maby not enough to cause the clutch to slip, will always keep pressure on the release cam, bucking bar, ball, and clutch mandrel. This is not good as it will lead to premature wear of all parts involved.

Your evaluation of bad gas is a good one too.

part of the reason why it took you going down several hills to finally get it running was probably that your plug was fould, wet and full of unburned gas. this is also why it ran rough when it forst started.
plus the cylinder probabably had some excess gas in it.
essentially, it was flooded, and it took awhile with the engine turning over to finally dry it out enough to where it would fire and run.
you should have pulled the spark plug out and checked it, and you could have turned the motor over with the plug out of the cylinder to let the piston blow the excess gas out of the spark plug hole....but you may not have had the tools with you to do that.
you should also replace you plug with an ngk plug, if you haven't already.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone for your replies. I had replaced the plug before, but it didn't seem to do anything. I replaced it again with the ngk b6, and replaced the plug adapter and it helped quite a bit. Also drained the gas and starting using a full synthetic oil. Running like a champ for now. Only other problem I've had is the plastic throttle handle breaking, but I was able to fit it back in. I've been using mid-grade gas also, although I don't really know how much of a difference it makes.
Thanks again

Back