Airplane engine swap

The HT engine block and components won't be able to withstand the increased compression ratio needed of a diesel engine. General Motors virtually destroyed the US Auto (not truck) diesel market by selling vehicles with gas engines that were converted to diesel. The jury rigged engines were horrendous and causes american's to swear off diesel cars while Europe was promoting small clean burning diesels that get 50+ mpg.

Unforunately, china is in the copy mode (making clones of other successful producdts) and haven't figured out new product development on their own yet.

That's what I was thinking. The connecting rod, bearings, etc would have to be VERY robust to stand up to the compression and forces involved with a diesel engine. On top of that, your operation RPM range would be MUCH lower which would cause you to have to make gearing changes as well.

Warner

Yep, my diesel jetta has a 4600 rpm redline but can easily hit 5200 rpm before the computer cuts off fuel. Part of the reason why diesel's don't rev very high is that the fuel combusts fairly slowly and combustion can't keep up (occur completely) with piston speeds at higher rpms.

What is neat is that my jetta is a free spinning high revving (relative) diesel compared to other diesels that max out at 2500-3000 rpm (longer stroke)

Back