alternator connector too recharge while riding . is it possible

my question is this , i want to wire a simple electric start up that is on my 36cc scooter motor , i mounted it to a trek mountain bike, i have a new battery that turns the motor over fine . 12v 7.5 amps . and start button . please tell me if my theory is correct . Posative wire from batery to starter , negative wire from battery grounded to motor case with start button wired into ground wire . push the button complete the circuit motor starts , now if i use one more ground wire from the battery to the bike , when the motor is running will the electric start charge the the battery . will i blow myself up . what do you think .

Every time I start to read a thread about lighting or the "white wire" or generally anything electrical it always goes to charging while in motion (ie electric bikes).

Im more interested in getting a solid 12v. out of a small generator/dynamo that will run "real" lights....head, tail and turn. I just cant seem to find a generator small enough to be bike chain driven. I guess if you move into a large enough displacement engine (B/S, Kohler etc.) there will b
e plenty of juice.:cool:

* Harley Davidson 12v. generators....200 clams....yeowww!

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I just set up a 12V system on the bike. It also charges 3.7V Li-Ion from the 12V battery. I don't have the engine charging it, but I plug in the battery whenever I'm parked to keep the battery charged up. Horns and 55W Halogen need a lot of power, but it also runs the LED headlights too. It's simple and effective and no need to mess with the white wire.

Now once we figure out a good way to get 12V from the engine, then you could charge the battery with the engine, and the lights will always work without worry.

I cant remember what post i read this on, but here it is...

I remember reading someones idea about mounting a small 12v alternator under the engine, cutting open a hole just before the clutch, and gearing that small gear to the motor.
In theory it appears perfectly sound... after all it's an open space on most frames, it's out of the way so it wont clutter up the frame, It would still collect power when the engine is idling at red lights, and what could be a more solid base for the alternator than the bottom of the engine itself :unsure:

I remember that this idea was shot down by the thread starter because he only wanted to find a way to extract what little extra power comes from the white wire...
The white wire is AC, it doesn't seem to produce enough extra juice, and it has been debated for quite a while with few positive results, so i say :censored: the white wire!!!

Last edited:
don't like cutting motor cases . but why not a drive sprocket that has two sets of teeth instead of one , make the inner set like 8mm thin . then mount alternator below motor and hook it up to that . i just use a scooter motor with an electric start for generator when i want to run lights without batteries, always put a fuse or a reducer in line so you don't blow lights all the time . when you rev the motor your power goes up . i think if you wired it like a car were the alternator charges battery and then run lights from battery you don't have to worry about it . but then you need another doohickey think its called a charging unit or something , it stops the flow of juice to the battery when its fully charged , so you dont blow up .

"...why not a drive sprocket that has two sets of teeth instead of one..."

That would work ok, But it would only charge when in motion, and it would make it so the width is too much to handle the sickbikeparts.com shifter kit, and i want to buy one soon so i can go insanely fast and up steep hills.

"...then you need another doohickey think its called a charging unit or something , it stops the flow of juice to the battery when its fully charged, so you don't blow up..."

Well, in that case I'm lucky lol... because i have a 12v system run off of a battery booster for jump starting a car, and it has a separate charging port with and automatic shut off for when the battery is full and an led display that shows the power level, plus it has a power outlet built in for charging my cell phone etc. :cool: lol

However, any route that would be taken on this, we'd still need some form of voltage stabilizer circuit to make it work perfectly... HMMM:unsure:

Last edited:
:censored: yeah, this is really getting somewhere now!

So, will a voltage regulator convert high and low voltages into a stable voltage, or just cut the flow if its at an "unacceptable level"?
Also, do you know if the current will fluctuate as the engine rev's and idols with the voltage regulator installed?

Thanks for any and all input!

Back