Anyone here ride on snow?

Yeah i rode in the snow for the first time, a bit of advice no throttle around a corner. I ended up on my azz. go at idle sppeed with a little brake. lol ended up with bruised elbow and knee. call me a dumbazz but i know it will happen to most of you if you ride in the snow lol.

Snow

When growing up in michigan, we used to put little sheet metal screws in the knobies of out dirt bikes. Do not know why you could not do the same with a mountain bike tire. Little tiny sheet metal screws. just do not work too good on concreate. If it is all snow. no problem.

Attachments

• Bike tire.jpg
    Bike tire.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 242
snow riding????

I dont or haven't tried the motorbike in the snow yet but my pedal bike is a full suspension Schwinn Impact Hydroformed Aluminum bike with a set of killer Bontrager " Earls " that I got from Augidawg way back when. I think I still owe him 10 dollars for them as a matter of fact. Anyhow they dig in and stick like glue . Man I didn't spin a wheel or slide or nutin. Total performance plus. That thing rode like a tank plowing thru the white stuff like there was no stoppin it. Truly an awsome ride. And I had a blast.I have a snow dog a samoyed that just loves to run after that bike. He chased me all thru the hood and didn't want to quit. He had almost as much fun as I did. Man I want to motorize that bike...... Tom

First Snow Ride

Today was the first day I rode in the snow. It was not intentional though. I was on my way to a bicycle shop to test ride a different bike. On the way there I could see precipitation falling from the sky ahead of me. It was a thin line of darkness hanging under the clouds. I could see that its direction of movement was from directly in front of me to about forty-five degrees to my right. It was moving towards the right of my destination. Since it was originating behind the mountain where the shop was located, I thought I could still get there and do some riding. The closer I got to the store the darker the clouds were getting. It seemed that the forty-five degree long line of clouds was moving in my direction. So I cut my ride short and stopped at a grocery store to get some things I originally intended to get on my way home.

When I came out of the store the winds were gusting at thirty miles per hour (MPH) with tiny ice balls falling on me. I loaded up and started home. By the time I was half way home the path and streets were covered with a thin layer of these little ice balls.

The tires on the bicycle are Kenda K-Shield 1.95 inch by 26 inch with a medium tread design. As long as the bike was going straight there was no problem. Everything worked fine at speeds no more than 21 MPH. During two stops the front wheel locked up and slid. Fortunately the design of my Raleigh Gruv has the rider sitting comfortably with the ability to put both feet flat on the ground while seated.

Since the roads and paths were warmer than the freezing point, there was no ice. Tomorrow there will be ice because the temperatures should remain below freezing. I've read enough stories about studded tires to know that I should put some on the bicycle. The MTB tires would be preferable but they won't fit with the Golden Eagle system because they would interfere with the belt. One could be put on the front with a skinnier tire on the rear but I prefer symmetry.

What is your cruising speed on snow or ice with your motor running? I'd like to know. Pedaling my bike with full winter clothing I only go seven and a half MPH. That is why I wanted to try a faster bike (for riding without a motor).

Here is riding in the snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aUWPi829Gw

Most mornings (other than the past couple of days, lol) when I jump on the bike to head to work it is sitting around -30C. Somedays, a little colder some a little warmer but bot much, lol.

The video above was taken one day as I was just getting home from work. I think it was about -15C that day.
As for my travel speed on the snowy, icy roads...usually I cruise around the 40-45 km/h mark.
I haven't bothered with using studded tires for a long time now...probably been a couple or few years, lol. I just run el cheapo MTB tires with a good bite to them.

Best thing to keep in mind when riding on these types of conditions is the same thing that people in cages should think of.
Don't try to stop really fast, don't turn really fast, and don't take off really fast.
If you can get away with travelling and not stopping or taking to many corners you'll be laughing...otherwise, you may be cryin', lol.

Take care, ride safe, and enjoy the video.

No motor on it yet, but riding on ice is safer than walking on it.

IMG_2319.jpg

The snowshoes are probably safer in the snow.:D

we got bad weather arounf here if you look at my vid at youtube.com/eltatertoto thats pretty much what hapens every time i turn at ANY angle the killer is when it melts during the day then the next moring you have black or "glare" ice everywhere i have lots of road rash lol i have to ride on the worst tires cause the only tires thin enough to fit on my rime or frame for that matter is the slick road bike tires pretty much ice to ice lol and i have a hard to find at least around here tire size 26x1 3/8

After having my shift and brake cables freeze solid again, I stripped the cables off my bikes and ran LockEase through them 'til it dripped out the other end. Everything is working smooth now. This wiill become a part of winterizing every fall.

Back