Buzzbike Upgrade!

The old reduction friction drive has been removed and tossed on a shelf. It was fun, I learned, but its wore out.
20211022_180501.jpg

Stripped bike to its bearings, cleaned, lubed, new driveline chain and cassette 11-32 / 7 with long cage derailleur, trigger shifter. Dumped front derailleur.
Stole hookworms from wife's bike.
🙄
20211020_175150.jpg

Added BBR 48cc.
20211102_172533.jpg

And that's my stopping point. There's no way in hell a chain will line up w/o power idlers. Kinda knew that anyway....

Course, now I whine, pout, wife says I can get a shift kit for xmas.
🤣😂

Hope I got everything right, I watched a video b4 installing those circlips, one for the clutch too.

Was planning to break it in on a trainer stand, but as I can't run chain it has to wait.

Do I need a load on the engine for break-in? I have a pull-start I haven't installed yet.

I might also ask, with an 11-32 cassette, do I need anything different from the standard SBP kit sprockets?

I do have hills. 30 degree hills. Buzzbike went up - once. Me pushing for a mile good god what a screw-up.

Trike with a Bafang 750W drive, SRAM DualDrive 3spd hub 12-28 cluster 20in wheels, climbs it like a bulldozer. I'd fall over trying that with a bike, I'd have to move a bit faster.

That hill calls me.
I want to rip up that hill.

Maybe I shoulda got an 80cc?
(but that's not legal...)

When you revisit that, you may find this front mount quite useful since the angle is fully adjustable for your needs...DAMIEN

I got that mount, there’s no room on that frame. That bike is not a good choice for easy fit, and it has to be jackshafted cause the rear seat stays and chain stays are molded.

But it looks sporty a lot crammed in a short wheelbase. Hope it don’t dump me. Spoiled by longbike and trike.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I will not be starting it today. Might ride my trike just to get it out of my system that buzzbike ain’t ready yet.

1) Adding left and right chain tensioners. I can’t see myself re-adjusting either, don’t like rising engine up to adjust right side, it screws with my front mount. Left side forget about it.

2) Checking and maybe grinding on jack shaft engine side sprocket. It seems teeth edges are too harsh, lots of noise and drag when tensioned. I’m trusting my gut on this, my experience includes a lot of servo chain drives that ran tight by necessity for positioning accuracy, and that sprocket isn’t seating chain properly. It will after the SECOND chain, but I’d rather fit it for the first one.

3) Removing adjuster so front mount seats firmly, readjusting engine chain (of course) so its slack, AFTER I modify sprocket. Actually doing that first, as I want the tension to exaggerate how teeth edges and sides are striking rollers. THEN remove adjuster, set engine mount, add tensioners.

4) Redoing fuel line. And turning around the filter.
🤪

Ordered Number 1. But it bothered me I wasn’t getting consistent chain adjustments. So inspected further.

Number 2 turned into a change in hardware. The freewheel chainring canted to one side. Felt rough too.
Not happy with it. But, had an L-Faster crankset was saving for my longbike project, engine chainring same, drive 38T instead of 40. Close enough?
Installed it adjusted it now all well much better, I’d ride it w/o motor ok test pass.
Adding tensioners when I get them but it’s functional a ok.

Leaving adjuster. It’s support.

Spiraled stiff insulated solid copper wire around tank side of fuel line to support and shape it, keep droop out, make sharper curve.

I think it’s double-check time, put on trainer stand, mix my 16:1 and start this puppy for a burn in.
😁

EDIT Change in plans. Chain tensioners arrived. Took it all apart. Painted grey parts black. Making insert to match tube angle on front mount.
Taking adjuster off.
Making z-pipe shorter.

Painted parts already cooking.
No start today.
But soon.

Reassembly today. Used one T-spacer, locked the mount flat. Chain now has 1/2” flex.
It took a bit of fitting to line up left side chain tensioner plate with existing, had to elongate three holes maybe 1/8”.

It locks everything in place, tensioner fits good, did have to use thinner washer than the one w/ kit.

Removed adjuster, and mounted engine solid to frame. Fits good. May be 3/4” flex in drive chain. With the L-faster freewheel chainring it really looks good. Sorry, that SBP set would have pitched the chain off with that much slack. Fitted R side tensioner. Nailed it.

Found a durable plastic elbow, inside molded smooth bore. Soaked it in gas just to make sure. Gonna try it. Meanwhile working on a metal one.
Added low-profile filter moved carb to right side. Redid fuel line again.

Maybe tomorrow I start it???
🤔

20211230_133443.jpg
20211230_133512.jpg
20211230_133526.jpg

Done.
Its on a trainer running now. Gimme a bit, I have a video.

I cranked, cranked, cranked...I heard a sputter.
Closed choke, kicked it, it fired.
Still running mid-throttle, lightly loaded 1st gear. Its smoothed out a lot in just 30 minutes.
I think my ratio is 10:1 woops, but better lower than higher right now?

More oil, more power, till about 16:1. Then it doesn't matter. 24:1 is good for the trails and beating the crap out of it. 30-40:1 is what most of us run. Good for street cruising and a light beating.

I have about two tanks worth, another refill b4 I need to mix again.

Am I ready for a light ride? I'll take my old buzzbike ride, it's a make sure I can pedal hone route.

And...what mix for that third tank???

Tell me tell me I'm already getting s**t-eating grin. Etrike is cool, but I like smokers!

I'd run 30-32:1 on the third tank. Then rejet. Shouldn't smoke much if any at that level, and it's plenty enough for racing around on the street, or some light -med trails.
I run 32:1 and have never had to re-jet and i have zero smoke...lol...Just ask @Zak since he followed me a week ago when i was doing around 30 to 35 MPH going uphill with my fat butt sitting on it...lol...DAMIEN

Back