California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

Hey Big Red. I was riding a few weeks ago when my ezip rode on the sidewalk. There were two LAPD officers standing there forcing a guy to trim his front yard tree. As I rode up slowly, the officer stopped me...UH OH! Ticket coming... He asked if the bike is motorized and I hesitantly replied yes. Then he said "oh, that is nice." Then he asked me to take it in the street around the area of sidewalk the guy was trimming his tree over. The officer's request meant I would be riding into oncoming traffic for a moment. He waived and said "be careful." I smiled, said okay, thanks and after going around the area got back on the sidewalk and throttled it up. No ticket.

My motor and battery after a year are worn on this ezip and I was informed it cannot be upgraded to a higher battery voltage as it is a newer currie motor, only older ones can. With several hundred dollars of cost, I am gonna install a 1000 watt papamotors and 48v system on that sucker for the difference. Papamotors said I have to also install torque arms on the forks. The state assemblyman's assistant said "as long as it stays under the 20mph when ridden on a street it is okay." I mentioned the over 750watt motor or possibility to ride faster but she said "nope," as long as it stays under 20mph. The cal dot person also verified that though the dmv states that all ebikes and escooters must be licensed. Just goes to show, this state is discombobulated aye :D

5c on speed, but what if installing that 1000 watt system from a fresh kit conversion. Interesting it defeats itself in babelspeak.

5c on speed, but what if installing that 1000 watt system from a fresh kit conversion. Interesting it defeats itself in babelspeak.

Hey slick, If I were into electrics I'll tell ya what I would do. But first let me say I can't recommend this to anyone, Cause I would be breaking the law. As for ME, I would get the most wattage and biggest motor I could afford. The bike would have to do AT LEAST 30mph. Then, I would sand down and paint over any wattage lables on the system. Theres not a cop in the world that has a voltage meter on him to check anything. (OH NO, Not the voltage cops!)
Also, DMV is probably NEVER even gonna see yer bike, So there ya are. I, not recommended for anyone else, would do what it takes to build a good electric bike. It's not like you're a gross polluter or anything, It's ELECTRIC! For everyday riding I would try to keep it around 20mph. It's just nice to know you got the power if needed.
Big Red.

I second Big Red, me having a ebike(albeit broke), you want some power when you get to those desolate long stretches of back country roads where what you gonna do, put-put at 15mph?....gets real boring and monotous. You need to unleash those LiPoly's....

Thanks Big Red, yeah I hear ya pedalman. Looking at just chucking the Ezip system altogether. My neighbor used to own a bike shop, said he'd help me with the new papamotors kit. Seems Cali is mixed on their laws. I reckoned if it is under 20mph it's okay. Of course I do have a speedometer so they could always verify that I suppose. For the most part on streets I find 15mph is fast enough. Like I originally stated my goal mainly is a longlife system and range which is why I am looking at a 20ah ping Lifepo4 to give more range. I think with the 48 volts at 15mph that should get me around 40 miles between recharges as the 15ah batt they supply in the kit gets about 30 according to their site. I am sure that is a maximum. Ya got to remember I can't pedal far with my bad knee and foot, so I am handicapped and this system is a must when I go riding more than say half a mile. It really starts to hurt a lot.

There seems to be a lot of bias an anger on the part of regular cyclists towards ebikes though. When my ezip was last working, I was slow crusing it around 8mph and got passed by a wiseguy and his girl both on their own ten speeds. As the guy passed me, he commented aloud. "Oh look, now they are making electric bikes" in a sarcastic manner and added "that's for lazy stupid people." I didn't say anything, just left it alone. Had I had that 1000 watter I might have been tempted on the bike path but then again, cooler heads prevail and throttle it up! :D

Hey slick, If I only cruised at 15mph I would get my A** ran over around here. I gotta have at least 30mph just to stay safe. And as far as those REAL BIKERS go, SCR*W "EM. They sound like a couple of soy bean eatin yuppies anyway. But, If ya really want to make them feel bad, Hang a handicap placard on yer bike and ride past them. (Tell 'em you were injured in Irac defending THEIR country.) But thats just me. I LOVE to mess with people that act like that.
Big Red.

Has anyone ever taken the skills test on an MB? You have to do that to get the M2 right?

Has anyone ever taken the skills test on an MB? You have to do that to get the M2 right?
Do you have your license plate?

The flaw would be that the DMV drones would want to
see some kind of insurance even though that is not an
issue on the street.
You would also have to have turn signals, brake light,
etc too.

I would try it but I already have an M1.
M2 is a waste of time because it's the same written
test and the skills test is the same too.

You can get a M2 / M1 temporary license that is good
for a year by taking the written test.
However you are not allowed to ride at night with a
temp license.

Hi slickdude,
I had my ebike only since this summer and I must warn you, faster you go, faster the he drain on the batteries. Going 30 mph my batteries last about 8 miles but if I go 10-15 they last double that alsomph with pedaling.

"There seems to be a lot of bias an anger on the part of regular cyclists towards ebikes though. When my ezip was last working, I was slow crusing it around 8mph and got passed by a wiseguy and his girl both on their own ten speeds. As the guy passed me, he commented aloud. "Oh look, now they are making electric bikes" in a sarcastic manner and added "that's for lazy stupid people." I didn't say anything, just left it alone. Had I had that 1000 watter I might have been tempted on the bike path but then again, cooler heads prevail and throttle it up!"

Wow , never here have I had to put up with that BS, would definitely have
been ****ed also. Motorists in cars now that is a different story. I never try to race people on regular bikes with the ebike, but sometimes I just trail them from behind a distance and just let them stay ahead as I am in no rush usually.

Last edited:
Back