Carb won’t fit

graggy

Local time
7:27 AM
Putting a bbr 80/66 on my bike. Mounted the engine and can’t put the carb on it hits the frame. It might fit if I take the air cleaner off but not sure. Any ideas?

Try putting it on without the air filter then try putting the filter on after the carb is on. You may have to trim up the plastic around the filter to make it fit

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 93
Similar sized frame to mine. Ditch the plate on the front motor mount if you can and you should be able to squeeze it in there.

Ok so I took the air cleaner off the carb and it fits. If I put the air cleaner on upside down it just fit. Is it ok to have the holes in the air cleaner pointed up instead of down or I could point the hole’s down and cut some of the plastic off

Attachments

• IMG_1307.jpeg
    IMG_1307.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1306.jpeg
    IMG_1306.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 79
Ok so I took the air cleaner off the carb and it fits. If I put the air cleaner on upside down it just fit. Is it ok to have the holes in the air cleaner pointed up instead of down or I could point the hole’s down and cut some of the plastic off
That is exactly what I did with my first build on my gas tank frame.

Yeah cut the bottom of the filter to make it fit right side up. I had to do that on one of mine. Being upside down could make dirt and stuff fall into the housing. It's better with the opening facing downward

Dont put it on upside down, I saw a bike here in my town that stopped dead in the middle of an intersection so I stopped to help him, the second I saw the upside down airfilter, I knew what was wrong.

There is always some backwash of fuel that spits out back into the carby and airfilter due to the way these motors operate.

I poured out a sizeable amount of fuel out of the upside housing because it had no place to drip out from because it was upside down

I took out a knife and cut off the bottom tubes, (all four), and made them as flush as possible with the rest of the housing...The filter now was able to fit in the bike frame after those tubes were cut off.

Put it back on for him and told him to have a nice day...It started right up and he was happily on his way.

Back