Chain Lube

Actaully Ive been having troubles with my chain spinning so fast that the chain oil comes off, I recently bought a can of chain wax. It is your best bet, jsut apply it, wait 15 mins for it to stick to the chain, and it will not come off.

For years I used perafin wax. It A lot of work to
clean the chain. I would take the chain off the bike and
use A good grease cleaner then soap and water.
the once it`s clean and dry. You won`t have to clean it
again. Now I would but it in A deep fryer full of wax let it their for about
5 min then let cool. On A bicycle it would last for about two
or three hundreds of miles be for it need it again. I don`t do it that way any more
it`s to mutch work. Thje chain and sprockets will last A very
long time and it will be clean to touch no more dirt.

I asked what my friend at work who off-roads sometimes with his dual sport cycle about chain lube. He and friends use kerosene. I went to the quick mart and bought some - put it in a spray bottle. Spray until it drips off real good- cleans and oils it.
Let it drip on a rag and you got a good starter for the outdoor wood fire.

This is my solution to chain lube issues - very simple, quick and low cost.

1) get a small squirt bottle and fill it with mineral turpentine to approx one quarter full.

2) get some Molybdenum disulfide grease and squeeze it in the bottle so a good two thirds of the bottle is totally filled.

3) shake the living heck out of the bottle till the turpentine mixes with the grease to form an easily poured paste.

4) Take your motored bike and set it up on a neighbour's driveway (who you really don't like, preferably when he/she is not home) and using a spray bottle, spray mineral turpentine over your chain then using a horse toothbrush, scrub the chain and finally rinse by spraying more mineral turpentine on the chain.

5) Take the Molybdenum disulfide and turpentine solution and gently squeeze a very small stream onto the inside surfaces of the chain whilst turning over the pedal arms, naturally some of the lube may land on driveway, but don't worry because it's just been trashed from the chain cleaning and degreasing process.

6) you will now have a perfectly clean chain and the next door neighbour will have a perfect filthy black, hideous and ghastly eyesore of a driveway to come home to.

7) let your bike sit overnight allowing the mineral turpentine to evaporate, leaving only a lightly greased chain where the lubricant has penetrated into all the inner working surfaces.

8) repeat the process every time the chain rollers show shiny surfaces.

Cheers Fabian

Last edited:
Back