Cheap Friction Drive.

Won't matter the wheel size. Roller only spins so fast no matter the wheel size. Only change is the size of the roller at same rpm.
That throws a bunch of folks. I didnt believe that at first. I agree on the GX35, there is a 38cc clone. You can buy one for about $100 shipped on Alibaba if you don't mid waiting a few weeks for it

I was surprised to see Honda rates the GX31 at 1.5 hp and the 35 at 1.3.
Also if you use Hondas fuel consumption figure with an average of 20mph it comes to 290mpg. Not likely, but
still great Im sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.png
    IMG_1021.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1020.png
    IMG_1020.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 58
So after looking at about a bazillion weedeaters on line it seems most have some sort of cooling vents that intake
air around the clutch area. I drilled 8) 1/4” holes around the engine spacer.
l always let air cooled engines run awhile before shut down to loose built up heat. On the smaller engines I usually hold my hand in front of the shroud vent to see how hot the engine is. The air flow has increased quite a bit with the added holes. To the credit of the locknload FD it does have 4) 1/8”ish holes thru the mount into the clutch, which seemed way too small to me.
The Staton is totally ventless. Guess I will do it next. These little engines work hard especially in summer heat,
and need all the help they can get.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 72
So drilled the Statons engine spacer. Tested it with a match at 4k rpm and it had enough flow to suck the flame out.
Feel a bit better about the cooling now.

Incidentally, I dont know if its just my spacer ring or if they are all like that, but there is a bit of rise at the edge of the spacer that makes it a cuss fest to get the last bolt in. I filed a small channel thru it giving a bit of clearance. That solved the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpeg
    IMG_1030.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 56
So drilled the Statons engine spacer. Tested it with a match at 4k rpm and it had enough flow to suck the flame out.
Feel a bit better about the cooling now.

Incidentally, I dont know if its just my spacer ring or if they are all like that, but there is a bit of rise at the edge of the spacer that makes it a cuss fest to get the last bolt in. I filed a small channel thru it giving a bit of clearance. That solved the problem.
On Staton spacer rings you'll notice 4 small grooves etched into the rise around the ring. Those line up to the engine mounting bolts and let the bolts thread straight in.

That throws a bunch of folks. I didnt believe that at first. I agree on the GX35, there is a 38cc clone. You can buy one for about $100 shipped on Alibaba if you don't mid waiting a few weeks for it
OMG so true, I'm trying to answer my brother's questions about gearing, it finally dawns on him, the roller IS the gearing.
🤣

On Staton spacer rings you'll notice 4 small grooves etched into the rise around the ring. Those line up to the engine mounting bolts and let the bolts thread straight in.
Mine doesnt have them, its smooth all around. The bolts were loose during the install of the last bolt, was still a major fight. The fit of the other bolts forced the last one to misalign just enough to not start. I though I would dimple it. No way, that thing is stout. Filing the little channel solved it.

I will say that the cheapo LnL kit had the nicest cast spacer that even has a locating ring to center the engine. Makes it so much simpler. There are pluses and minuses to both kits. If the Staton had the cast spacer, I would say its the grail
of kits.

Mine doesnt have them, its smooth all around. The bolts were loose during the install of the last bolt, was still a major fight. The fit of the other bolts forced the last one to misalign just enough to not start. I though I would dimple it. No way, that thing is stout. Filing the little channel solved it.

I will say that the cheapo LnL kit had the nicest cast spacer that even has a locating ring to center the engine. Makes it so much simpler. There are pluses and minuses to both kits. If the Staton had the cast spacer, I would say its the grail
of kits.
Yea, I noticed that spacer in the pics. I was wondering about it.

of kits.
Files are a gift from God. Trying to sand in a tight spot can be tough but files get where you can't with a sander

Back