(Chinese) 2-Stroke Ban, and Do We Care?

Do you care about the 2-stroke ban?

• Total voters
the EPA sucks, i hate them. i dont care how much they ban. hell, ill run 2 strokes all day for no reason just in spite of them banning them :LOL: :LOL:

i dont get the ban though, that means that theyll have to ban chainsaws, weedwackers, and all yard equipment, and thats a major part of our economy.

jon

Herrmanator8 said:
i dont get the ban though, that means that theyll have to ban chainsaws, weedwackers, and all yard equipment, and thats a major part of our economy.

jon

Aren't most Japanese 2 strokes EPA approved?

MotorbikeMike said:
I hate the ban, it is unilateral, and aimed by the Japanese manufactures at the Chinese mfg's it was all a money-making ploy to protect the Japan mfg's from the cheap chinese engines, if you look, you will find, that you can still buy new Fresh Imported Japan 2-strokes.
Mike

It's all, (sorry for the P word) politics!! the Japanese manufacturers have deeper pockets than the China factories.

ill run them so that its now approved by the EPA :censored: ill burn paint thinner with a bunch of racing fuel mixed with some perfume and onions :p

jon

Yes i am experiencing severe disgruntlement at the idea that they are banned. all it would take is an exhaust valve for 2T to be as clean as 4T and still have double the power, its a travesty

ill shred up the tax bill and run it through my 2 stroke, with onions!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jon

This is a joke! Look at all the people running their giant 10 piston SUV's and usually their is only one person in them. They get a whopping 8 MPG. Look at the emissions they put out. Yet us on our little bikes are getting 150 MPG. If they want to pick on the little two strokes that are used for transportation then let them make a rule that states, there must be a minumum of 45 people in an SUV.
A JOKE

I was actually filling up my little 2 gallon gas can when a guy in a big-*ss SUV asked me the mileage I got. I told him, and hi kinda looked sheepish, and then complemented me for wearing a helmet. Like I was a teenager or a 20 year old. Jeez.

Just need to get my smaller sprocket. I get paid on the 15th, so it should happen.

Seems like a lot of people are confusing fuel economy and emissions. Just because a vehicle burns more fuel does not mean it puts out more pollutants...that's pretty obvious. A clean, large engine may well pollute less than a small engine if you look at solely what comes out the tailpipe over an hour of operation. Now, what is exhausted upstream in the process of making the additional fuel the large engine burns, I cannot speak to because I do not know the details.

Doubt it? Here's a little anecdotal evidence (which I do not suggest, but have witnessed- door open)- run a chainsaw in a closed garage for 10 minutes and take a look around. Then (after you clear it out) run a truck and take a look around- you will be able to.

Obviously, a small two stroke burns less fuel than a large engine for a given mile, but that is not the sole measure of environmental impact. In the bad old days before the fall of communism, the most "popular" car in several eastern european countries had small 2 stroke engines that were relatively fuel efficient compared to the more powerful engines in use here at the time. I would sooner have breathed in Chicago than East Berlin any day.

Now does that mean that everyone should ditch their 2 strokes? I am not saying that. They are a small percentage of what is out there that they likely have no measureable environmental impact over here. What the government is trying to do (not that's I am one to defend government logic) is to prevent growth of relatively "dirty" engine....and a little protectionism thrown in- remember, it's and import ban, not a domestic manufacture or use ban.

Where is the balance between mileage and tailpipe producing the optimum environmental benefit? darned if I know.

BTW- it's not just the absence of a exhaust valve- the burning oil may have something to do with it...and it is not double the power, more yes, double no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back