Christmas help please -- Motor Scooter vs Motorized Bike vs Moped

Greggl4321

Local time
8:57 PM
I am pretty soon going to be in dire need of something that I can use to get around town. I'm not looking to spend too much money, (or have too much money spent) I'm wondering what would be the most cost effective / reliable form of transportation?

Mopeds - they seem a bit more expensive than the stand up motorized scooter

Motorized Scooter - Cheaper, not sure about reliability as compared to mopeds, less storage, no licensing requirements

Motorized Bike - Cheap, no licensing requirements, uncertain on the reliability, uncertain on the speed.

What would you guys recommend for a budget transportation device? Whats going to go the fastest, be the most reliable, and be the cheapest? I'm thinking its the motorized bike, but I'm unsure about reliability.

How much faster/ more power does a motorized bike have over a motorized stand up scooter?

I am pretty soon going to be in dire need of something that I can use to get around town. I'm not looking to spend too much money, (or have too much money spent) I'm wondering what would be the most cost effective / reliable form of transportation?

Mopeds - they seem a bit more expensive than the stand up motorized scooter

Motorized Scooter - Cheaper, not sure about reliability as compared to mopeds, less storage, no licensing requirements

Motorized Bike - Cheap, no licensing requirements, uncertain on the reliability, uncertain on the speed.

What would you guys recommend for a budget transportation device? Whats going to go the fastest, be the most reliable, and be the cheapest? I'm thinking its the motorized bike, but I'm unsure about reliability.

How much faster/ more power does a motorized bike have over a motorized stand up scooter?
How fast do you need to move, you know that speed, cheapness, and reliability kind of don't come together in an easy to apply creme.

The cheaper the kit the more problems you'll likely experience with it, the bike engine kit is probably the cheapest option, if you have a suitable bike then as long as you are mechanically sound minded then you should only have minor issues.

Let me break it down moped (I'm looking at you.)

But you still need registration barley,

Scooter (I'm looking at you.)

Tabs plates title 30mph plus.

Motorized bicycle.... (China girl bicycle) can't be registered perfectly legal but must go no more then 30mph.

"California legal" simply refers to the fact that it meets California emissions requirements. The website also says that these are "off highway vehicles". All gas bikes require a license. The only motor-powered bikes that don't require an M1 or M2 are electric bikes.

Last edited:
It's $33 and a quick knowledge test with super obvious answers. There's really no reason not to get one if you can. Even illegal immigrants can get one in California via AB60.

When you say motorised scooter vs moped, you have me a little confused. Mopeds are with pedals, Puch, Tomos etc, scooters are like Vespa or Kymco. Of course a motorised bike is just a moped built at home.

You mean like a children's push scooter, but with a tiny motor? Put that thought out of your mind. They're slow, twitchy, don't handle bumps well, and you'll look super weird. They're thousand dollar toys, a late 90s fad for spoiled kids with rich parents. An excellent way to be "that guy".

The cheapest and most reliable transportation of all is just a normal bicycle. A 2-stroke motorised bike will be cheap but is also a hobby project, you can't expect one to start first thing in the morning. 4 strokes are apparently reliable but I never had one.

Does it say Cali legal, and is it era compliant as well for C.a.r.b compliant? If so then yes Cali code is crazy.
It depends on how you look at it, basically a 2 stroke running even slightly rich (or by the size jet they glue into the carbs, just running "normal" is too rich) is automatically going to fail EPA requirements, and without inspections being required any device that could soak up the extra unburnt fuel, such as a catalytic converter, will ultimately fail to continue that process at some point and so it will again go out of code.

The people running the show set up all those things and like to enforce most of the rules but also know that some are just ridiculously difficult enforce in certain applications, the motorized bike is kinda one of them. They gave it an umbrella legislation and said no inspections, they obviously don't care too much about the EPA system on these things, don't even require having EPA labels.

Put anything you want basically in the bike, you shouldn't have any problems regarding the carb and EPA status of the engune.

Back