Convince me

I am also looking at 4 stroke, I prefer frame mount. How many different kits are available and how easy is it to install. Price point is an issue also.

so if i did go with a 4 stroke, is there aftermarket parts like sbp expansion chamber and can the 4 hit 35mph comfortably?

4-stroke

Hi guys, my STOCK 49cc 4-strokes will run all day long, 34-35 mph, carrying a 300lbs plus load, getting 165-185 mpg.

It is no problem, and much more pleasant than the buzzing 2-strokes I had before.

Mike

4 stroke expansion ?

The expansion chamber is a product of a 2 cycle combustion process. I don't think it would do any good to hook up ether a boost bottle or expansion chamber to a four cycle motor. I guess you could build a "header" that would help the exhaust leave the motor . but I don't think it would come close to the power increase you get out of a two cycle.

Mike the bike guy

Sorry, but I have a newbie request....for the frame mount 4 cycle. Does anyone have a side by side pic of a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke? I have a huffy cranbrook, would a 4 stroke kit fit with out major modification? (I know the pedal cranks have to be changed but other than that is there anything else?)

Stan - I would reconsider the Cranbrook because of the coaster brakes.

Coaster brakes on a MB are just not sufficient IMO, and the center of the rear sprocket needs to be enlarged to accomodate the larger coaster brake hub. Consider adding front brakes if you motorize it.

Here are some pics of my 4 stroke mounted on a Huffy Santa Fe frame. Note I added caliper brakes front and rear. All I had to do to make the sprocket fit is trim the edge off of the sheetmetal dust cover.

Attachments

• 45-3.JPG
    45-3.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 195
  • engine_fuel.JPG
    engine_fuel.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 50-1.JPG
    50-1.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 177
Hi Stan4d -

Welcome to the forum! I went looking for a suitable frame for myself just yesterday.

My criteria for a frame were: The engine and mount had to fit (Of course!). The frame had to provide for an engine mount plate that was 8 inches long. I assumed the engine was 10 inches high (I am going with the Honda 50 cc engine as an example). I took an inverted cardboard "T" representing these measurements (and a tape measure) with me. If it did not fit in the frame with the 8 inch segment horizontal and 10 inches vertical, that frame was rejected right there on the spot.

Next, the rear axle dropouts had to be at least 5 1/2 inches apart to support a 7-speed sprocket and wheel. That allows me room for the chain on the left-hand side, yet keep the multiple speed cassette on the right-hand side.

Next, the frame tubing had to be 1 1/4 inches or greater in diameter or larger for strength.

Everything after that (wheels, handlebars, tires, better brakes, front forks, crank) are subject to being replaced at will.

So far, the Schwinn series seems to be the runaway popular item. My choice was a Mtn Tek by Extreme. It is a chromoly steel frame made in Taiwan, a 1996 model. I got it on sale from a recycle bike shop for $95.

If anyone here has comments (good or bad) about my choice, I'd like to hear them. That way, other newcomers can learn as well.

MikeJ

My choice was a Mtn Tek by Extreme. It is a chromoly steel frame made in Taiwan, a 1996 model. I got it on sale from a recycle bike shop for $95.

If anyone here has comments (good or bad) about my choice, I'd like to hear them. That way, other newcomers can learn as well. MikeJ

I'd say you made a good choice. I'm not exactly familiar with that badge but chromoly from Taiwan of that era is usually a good pick and far, far better than the current junk from Chinamarts today.

Well I got some more GI Bill payments so I'm ready to spend some money. Its a tuff choice for me, 2 or 4 stroke. is there a 4 stroke that can handle lighting?

Back