Did anyone invest in a DOT helmet and riding jacket?

I have had several concussions, neck injuries, & neck surgery. I wear a good helmet & never ride over 20mph.

Safety Equipment

I looked for pads early on, remember how the asphalt felt when I took a header as a kid off my bike.

The best thing I found was wrist pads that have a curved piece of plastic protecting the heal of the hand. That is often the part of the arm that hit first and living with scabs on it for a couple of weeks made for a strong memory.

I also wear knee and elbow pads and top them off with a modular motorcycle helmet. The chin flip up helps when stopping for a drink.

I sweat a lot normally and the insulated helmet makes me swim in it. Still better than breaking the egg shell!

Jim

gear?

yup . because i am extremely involved with motorcycles i use my moto gear. i have a dot app. half shell, and almost always wear a jacket. typically in winter a heavy carhart coat. but spring summer and fall i use my moto gear that best suits the season. when i was testing my bike on some amazing back roads in the summer i used my mesh jacket with pads. a nice light weight summer riding jacket. allows much airflow. u can get 1 for bout 100 bucks depending on brand. make sure it is a nice tight fit with only a t shirt underneath. i know on that back road i was approaching or exceeding speeds of 50 mph. so safety first.

100_3803.jpg

Had more than my share of crashes. Met a guy that didn't bother putting his helmet on for a three block ride. Took him ten minutes to tell me that much.
Was on a volunteer fire dept. and every time we got a call for a motorcyclist down the first thing we heard was "I didn't see them".

Steve.

Yep DOT helmet here..
The new ones are so light and comfortable.. Theres no excuss for not wearing one !!!

I believe you. I got clipped by a mirror on an SUV right after I turned and shined a driver for a second with my helmet lamp, after he turned on his blinker, and moved over. Just not enough. He got arrested for DUI. Right in front of his kids and the whole baseball team. Shame.

Had more than my share of crashes. Met a guy that didn't bother putting his helmet on for a three block ride. Took him ten minutes to tell me that much.
Was on a volunteer fire dept. and every time we got a call for a motorcyclist down the first thing we heard was "I didn't see them".

Steve.

I believe you. I got clipped by a mirror on an SUV right after I turned and shined a driver for a second with my helmet lamp, after he turned on his blinker, and moved over. Just not enough. He got arrested for DUI. Right in front of his kids and the whole baseball team. Shame.

Glad it worked out for you, but not understand if the drunk was "getting back" at you for the flash or it was just his impaired condition?

Unfortunately there are a lot of angry people on the road here and if they get any reason, pull out a gun and start firing away. I wish it were different, but there are road rage shootings here in the Phoenix metro area almost every week.

I don't care if I am on my bike or in the car. really don't want to have to exchange shots with some wacko. I have carried a 40 for a lot of years, but avoidance seems to work best?

That is part of my safety equipment as well as defensive riding.

Jim

re: DUI baseball driver

He said he was sorry, convincingly, and his assistant coach helped me up and was first to call 911.

It was a Suburban too! The mirror just cut up my elbow, but the front end of that behemoth would have been havoc.

I wear a dot approved helmet because it is required in my state and because it's safe. It's a open face with a full face visor. I also wear decent leather gloves because in most cases, your hands come out to break the fall then your head bounces off the pavement followed by your elbows and kness (assuming you flip over the handle bars which I've done my fair share of).
I don't wear a heavy leather jacket but I do wear a runners jacket that has reflective material on it. It's just too hot in the summer for a leather jacket and in my town with lights every block, I wouldn't make it one mile before sweating my a$$ off and passing out from dehydration.

Back