What is the penalty for riding without M1 license in California?

Hi @Wrench , I'm at the north end of the Shasta Valley (east of the I-5 corridor) a couple of miles from the Klamath river. I'm thinking of doing the MoPed registration in case a curious CHP pulls me over ;-)

I looked at the registration form, but I'm not sure how to fill out section 1. There is no vehicle ID or engine number. Make and model?

Attachments

• reg230.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 137
I looked at the registration form, but I'm not sure how to fill out section 1. There is no vehicle ID or engine number. Make and model?

Vehicle ID # - Frame serial #
Engine # - if it's a Zelda 66cc put Z66 Or stamp your own #
Make - Schwinn, Huffy etc...
Model - Cruiser or the model of bicycle ya got

Basically the DMV don't care whatch put down for a M/B they just want your $23 :LOL:
Best to be accurate with your descriptions in case it stolen the Cops can track it back to you.

Go back and read Tylers post #7 in that link I gave you for form #230 He explains what to do

Re-posting @Tyler6357 instructions:

When filling out the form use the serial number of your bicycle as the vehicle identification number (VIN). Also, since most of the 2 stroke 'china girl' engines have no serial number stamped on them when the DMV form asks for the engine serial number, it is acceptable to use the bicycle serial number and put an "E" in front of it in the spot on the form for engine number. "E" stands for engine. If the engine ever fails and you want to put a new one on your bike, you will not need to change your DMV registration. Leave the CA license plate spot blank, they will fill in a number once they assign one to you.

Get an M1 permit and renew it if needed. Jeez here in CO you pay a private school m/c $50 and use their lil 250cc bike to take the test and wham bam you're done, have to have a permit 1st. Just take the certificate to the DMV and you're done. To take the whole class never hurt anyone, they teach skills that might help you to be a better driver. Once you invest in a M/C DL it's good for life [not counting renewal fees] so $300 isn't a lot if you look at it that way.

Get an M1 permit and renew it if needed. Jeez here in CO you pay a private school m/c $50 and use their lil 250cc bike to take the test and wham bam you're done, have to have a permit 1st. Just take the certificate to the DMV and you're done. To take the whole class never hurt anyone, they teach skills that might help you to be a better driver. Once you invest in a M/C DL it's good for life [not counting renewal fees] so $300 isn't a lot if you look at it that way.

Cisco already has a M-1 He just want's to get a Ca. Moped plate

Re-posting @Tyler6357 instructions:

When filling out the form use the serial number of your bicycle as the vehicle identification number (VIN). Also, since most of the 2 stroke 'china girl' engines have no serial number stamped on them when the DMV form asks for the engine serial number, it is acceptable to use the bicycle serial number and put an "E" in front of it in the spot on the form for engine number. "E" stands for engine. If the engine ever fails and you want to put a new one on your bike, you will not need to change your DMV registration. Leave the CA license plate spot blank, they will fill in a number once they assign one to you.
Like I said the DMV really don't care whatcha put down on the form. They just want your $$
It's a mail in form the DMV trusts you to put the correct info Their not gonna check.

If ya get another M/B you can just use the same plate. Ya don't have to pay another $23 unless ya want another plate
As long as the Plate is in your name you can put it on any M/B

Cisco already has a M-1 He just want's to get a Ca. Moped plate

Like I said the DMV really don't care whatcha put down on the form. They just want your $$
It's a mail in form the DMV trusts you to put the correct info Their not gonna check.

If ya get another M/B you can just use the same plate. Ya don't have to pay another $23 unless ya want another plate
As long as the Plate is in your name you can put it on any M/B
It's true that you can easily switch you're license plate onto another bike. However, if a cop stops you and asks to see your registration and it says "Huffy" and you are riding some other bike he might give you a ticket for switching license plates.

Ha! It might be easier for me to go to CO and get my license and endorsement and then have transferred to a CA license.

It's true that you can easily switch you're license plate onto another bike. However, if a cop stops you and asks to see your registration and it says "Huffy" and you are riding some other bike he might give you a ticket for switching license plates.
This is felony type stuff. You're better off getting caught with no tags than getting caught with some other vehicles tags.

Your allowed to switch frames and keep the same Plate
The cops ain't gonna bust ya with a ticket 🎫 :LOL:
The DMV says you can switch the plate from an old M/B to a new M/B
They also say if your a rental outfit the plate can be put on any moped or M/B your business owns.

Back