Electric & Gas chopper trike hybrid

hi van,

these kits make the delta style trike, which are cool to look at, but your tadpole style is alot more practical for motorizing, they do not corner very well, perfect for leisurely cruising, my electric ez3 ax runs around 20mph but to turn you really have to kill the speed to turn a 90' corner. Fun to ride and cruise around on at low speed but not really practical for long distances at constant decent speeds.

Last edited:
I agree. I was thinking of something for just cruising around town, or maybe just for sale.

this is exactly what i want to make but i have no idea how..
would it be possible to do with with and adult trike or would i need the trike kit?
right now im just doing research i guess but i want to get my hands dirty soon.
but other than the bike and the engine, what do i need?

You could build either way. Just keep in mind that the frame will, at least to some extent, dictate what you can mount on it. I gotta get a welder.
Back to your question. The first thing to settle on (in my opinion) is what you want the bike for. Do you want something stylish that may require a lot of maintenance? Do you want something that will go long distances at speed with low relative maintenance?

Great bike. i also wanted to go the true hybrid route and on a chopper, i actually own the 2005 Schwinn Stingray electric chopper and i was planning to add a chinese four stroke engine on it just like alaskavan. problem is like he said the frame dictates what i can put on it. the hard part is cutting out the seat post tube so that i can fit the gas engine on it. thats actually the main problem with mine. any insight into a what displacement size i should use, because i dont think going 30mph will cut it for me i want at least a guaranteed 50mph.

That bike looks fantastic! I wish I had the space to build something like that! The hybrid idea is brilliant and I can really see this catching on, it would definetely sell, very unique!

You say that the batteries charge whilst your riding, do you mean the white wire current from the engine charges the batteries?

Fastboy

You say that the batteries charge whilst your riding, do you mean the white wire current from the engine charges the batteries?
Fastboy

sorry, fastboy, but vinnie doesnt get on here anymore...he's workin' like a slave .
(14 to16hr days. weekends, too). no time to play on the pc

Well on my Electric bike, when i pedal the LEDs on the throttle light up and when im going really fast it goes all the way up to full. this really means that because im not using the batteries to power the motor and am manually pushing the bike making the wheels spin that the motor is reverse producing current and voltage. so its going to save that energy in the batteries because thats what its hooked up too. its like a generator and a dynamo. i cant explain specifically but i hope u got the gist of it, look it up on wikipedia or google generators or dynamo. heres a link to get you sarted on that search. and yes i think you can charge batteries using that wire that comes from the stator but dont try it yet. hook up an voltmeter and check it out first. and ask arond for another opinion too. but its a good question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo

I'm working on a project similar to that . does your gas motor charge the battery for the electric motor on the fly . so there is no down time to recharge , this seams like the natural thing to do . i'm looking for a good but electric hub motor . just now building the bike the motor has the electric start think i can use it to keep my batteries charged . what do you think?

Back