EZM "Q"-matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question??

Kiroy?? Why would You use the Chain Idler tensioner?? when It appears You Have adjustment with the Motor going forward.. I have went Out Of My way to elimenate that problem Child.. even if someone wants to Put the chain drive To My Bike.. the chain Is adjusted at the Motor.. and It Looks Like Yours would too.. I Built Just One standard Bicycle ,and did use that Gig and In the end It was the reason for a Bad crash .. where the chain rollor gave way and the wheel was Locked throwing the Rider.. He was My High School track Coach.. Now getting pretty Old.. since then I have Just never believed in that Bogus Thing.. and it appears You could elimnate it By a few Links out and final adjustment with Your Elongated Motor Mounting Holes.. Just My Observation.. THanks Helmutt

I talked to Chris last night and it looks like we have a clearance issue with the chain stay because of the larger sprocket. I have not looked at it yet to see if anything else could be done but I believe Chris has nailed it the only way we can do it now.

Jim

Kiroy?? Why would You use the Chain Idler tensioner?? when It appears You Have adjustment with the Motor going forward.. I have went Out Of My way to elimenate that problem Child.. even if someone wants to Put the chain drive To My Bike.. the chain Is adjusted at the Motor.. and It Looks Like Yours would too.. I Built Just One standard Bicycle ,and did use that Gig and In the end It was the reason for a Bad crash .. where the chain rollor gave way and the wheel was Locked throwing the Rider.. He was My High School track Coach.. Now getting pretty Old.. since then I have Just never believed in that Bogus Thing.. and it appears You could elimnate it By a few Links out and final adjustment with Your Elongated Motor Mounting Holes.. Just My Observation.. THanks Helmutt

Helmutt, this is only a temporary expedient until I can get two things resolved. The most important thing is that the chain will contact the chainstay without the tensioner in place. The tensioner positions it out of harm's way. The second is that I'm under the gun timewise for the rally this weekend, and when I have more time to address this the idler will be gone.

I love the looks of this kit so far. Great work. Any idea when you might go into production and how much the kit will sell for?

Who are You Talking to??

I love the looks of this kit so far. Great work. Any idea when you might go into production and how much the kit will sell for?

The Ez Motor Kit Is for Sale ,and so Is the Helmutt Bicycle That Uses that Kit..

Harbor Freight EZ Q-Matic

I guess I will keep this here in the product development thread.
The HF engine build with the Q-Matic was a great success. The engine has plenty of power to drag my large butt around the park. The Q-Matic is very adaptable to this and probably many other engines available now. I consider this test project a resounding success. We still have some tweaking to do on the final build but all in all I could not be happier. I will add some pictures tomorrow because the bike looks great with the chrome tank installed.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
I guess I will keep this here in the product development thread.
The HF engine build with the Q-Matic was a great success. The engine has plenty of power to drag my large butt around the park. The Q-Matic is very adaptable to this and probably many other engines available now. I consider this test project a resounding success. We still have some tweaking to do on the final build but all in all I could not be happier. I will add some pictures tomorrow because the bike looks great with the chrome tank installed.

Jim

Hi Jim, how wide is the setup with the Harbour Freight motor compared with a Honda or Hua Sheng? Just curious.

Hi Jim, how wide is the setup with the Harbour Freight motor compared with a Honda or Hua Sheng? Just curious.

I can answer that. It's wide. Either a bent crank or a pedal extension will be necessary on the right hand side of the bike. To ensure proper chain alignment, the engine needs to be offset to the right a bit. looking from above, the HF engine appears to be at least three inches wider than the Hua Sheng or Honda engine.
Since Jim has the bike at his place of business right now and he just went to Ohio today, neither one of us can measure the bike to give you an exact answer. Once Jim gets back in town we can supply accurate measurements.

You appear to have the original crank on the bike. So does that mean
it's up high enough to clear pedals?

I take it your feet aren't completely on the pedals but maybe 1/2 way off?

Bike looks great, very nice job.

You appear to have the original crank on the bike. So does that mean
it's up high enough to clear pedals?

I take it your feet aren't completely on the pedals but maybe 1/2 way off?

Bike looks great, very nice job.

Yes, the engine is set high enough to clear the pedals without having to use a shorter crank. That may not be the case with all frames, but it's a pretty safe bet on any 26" Schwinn cantilever frame (this one is a '57 Schwinn Corvette). I had about 1/3 of the right pedal to work with, and that will be reduced farther when we shift the engine over the 3/8" more it needs to go. Quenton sells good solid pedal extensions that will move the pedal outward about two inches. This will be needed on a Greyhound-powered bike unless you get a wide crank or bend your crank to accomodate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back