Finally got out of the neighborhood with Predator 212cc stock on Meridian trike.

wolvmarine

Local time
12:49 AM

I finally got the chain issue squared away. I've always been jealous of people that got their chains on without any issue. When I got a replacement chain for my newish rig it still had too much play. the motor was sitting on rubber mounts and I had decided that I was going to lift the motor to take the slack out of the chain. The rubber mounts had been squished down to 1/4 of their original size by the bolts so when I released tension to put in the spacers it quickly took up the millimeters of space that needed to be taken up by the chain. So I decided then to wrench down the bolts down just enough to take the play out from between the bolt and nuts and ran the machine. On her maiden voyage she ran up to 33mph without any hiccups. I'm going back out later and see what she'll do full throttle.

I know folks have said this is too much motor but I'm about ~200 lbs and the trike is about 77lbs or 277lbs that's a lot to get moving. I wish I could have setup a torque converter setup for this trike. But, trike conversion base plates were easy to come by and I couldn't figure out an efficient way to setup the torque converter.

My next project will be a paramotor system that will use a 212cc / harness/ pusher prop setup where I can jump on ANY bike and power it, then jump on ANY small boat and power it, and hopefully almost ANY kite/wing system and power it. So this kit would be able to power Air, Land, and Sea sounds like the Marines! HOoRah !

1609445351494.png

1609445407577.png

What you could do is add a few large washers, then torque it down.

Your gear ratio seems high.

How many teeth on your clutch and wheel sprocket?

I finally got the chain issue squared away. I've always been jealous of people that got their chains on without any issue. When I got a replacement chain for my newish rig it still had too much play. the motor was sitting on rubber mounts and I had decided that I was going to lift the motor to take the slack out of the chain. The rubber mounts had been squished down to 1/4 of their original size by the bolts so when I released tension to put in the spacers it quickly took up the millimeters of space that needed to be taken up by the chain. So I decided then to wrench down the bolts down just enough to take the play out from between the bolt and nuts and ran the machine. On her maiden voyage she ran up to 33mph without any hiccups. I'm going back out later and see what she'll do full throttle.

I know folks have said this is too much motor but I'm about ~200 lbs and the trike is about 77lbs or 277lbs that's a lot to get moving. I wish I could have setup a torque converter setup for this trike. But, trike conversion base plates were easy to come by and I couldn't figure out an efficient way to setup the torque converter.

My next project will be a paramotor system that will use a 212cc / harness/ pusher prop setup where I can jump on ANY bike and power it, then jump on ANY small boat and power it, and hopefully almost ANY kite/wing system and power it. So this kit would be able to power Air, Land, and Sea sounds like the Marines! HOoRah !

View attachment 102610

View attachment 102611

If you can't figure out how to set up a jack shaft on a trike, how are you going to be able to do all that?

Flip your engine plate over, probably need a longer one, put the motor and TAV on the other side and run the drive chain to a jack shaft and from the jack shaft to the wheel, a couple pillow block bearings and you're rocking. Plus, with the jack shaft your can experiment with gear ratios. Toss those rubber mounts and get yourself a plain old piece of plywood to mount the motor on to isolate the vibes.

If you can't figure out how to set up a jack shaft on a trike, how are you going to be able to do all that?

Flip your engine plate over, probably need a longer one, put the motor and TAV on the other side and run the drive chain to a jack shaft and from the jack shaft to the wheel, a couple pillow block bearings and you're rocking. Plus, with the jack shaft your can experiment with gear ratios. Toss those rubber mounts and get yourself a plain old piece of plywood to mount the motor on to isolate the vibes.
LMAO, "efficient way" is the key component to that sentence. Jack shaft is fine I just don't want to. I like to keep my $hit simple. A jack shaft introduces more drag and another source of problems. When these Meridians come back on the market I will try the TAV version since this brute needs a "capacitor" type buffer. Paramotors with 212 stage 1 don't use a jack shaft. The one I will build will be direct drive. I'll post that once she's off kicking as well.

212 powered trike is not novel, but certainly seems so on this forum. Tons of people say its too much. Obviously they are not fans of the rednecks at CarsandCameras. These guys use these 212s like chewing gum to include a 4 * 212 and 4 TAVs on ONE cart. Now you think a simple "heavy duty" trike with a single 212 is too much at Stage 0? Nope! Oh yeah that crazy cart all 4 212's were stage 0 as well. Nice

10t to 42t sprocket

I haven't fully opened her up yet. Been throttle shy since she was throwing chains every which a way on the old rig. I'll post top speed when the weather gets better.

Last edited:

Haven't pierced 40mph yet but I'll be geared up for bang if it comes.

Washers to replace the rubber.... I'm re-thinking that now. She's already got a Harley hardtail ride not sure I want to make it Rougher! If she starts throwing chains again I'll revisit the idea.

Washers to replace the rubber.... I'm re-thinking that now. She's already got a Harley hardtail ride not sure I want to make it Rougher! If she starts throwing chains again I'll revisit the idea.

Post stage 1:: Don't think I have the stones for that tho!

Dang,,, looks like alot of fun,,,, i have a brand new Meridian sitting idle,,, guess I'll strap a 198cc 4 speed honda engine on mine...
20210101_135102.jpg

Ill gear it down for my off road stuff...
What kind of gear ratio would get the trike into the 30 too 35 mpr range top speed...
Hopefully 18 too 22 mpr at 2/3rd's throttle

Of course I can regulate my speeds with the built in 4 speed transmission...

Where did you find that speed chart,,, thats a kool tool...

Thanks for sharing...

Jt

Keep the rubber, add the steel washers to adjust chain/belt tension.

That's how I intend to tense my belt.

Your 4.2:1 gear ratio is very high.

A simple solution is to install a very large rear wheel sprocket.

Dang,,, looks like alot of fun,,,, i have a brand new Meridian sitting idle,,, guess I'll strap a 198cc 4 speed honda engine on mine...
View attachment 102649

Ill gear it down for my off road stuff...
What kind of gear ratio would get the trike into the 30 too 35 mpr range top speed...
Hopefully 18 too 22 mpr at 2/3rd's throttle

Of course I can regulate my speeds with the built in 4 speed transmission...

Where did you find that speed chart,,, thats a kool tool...

Thanks for sharing...

Jt

I use this website for the gear math::

Good luck. I'm hoping to stretch her legs tomorrow and a top speed with the current setup I have as mentioned above. If I don't come back to forum in the next week... it was nice knowing you guys....🤞

Back