Finally got out of the neighborhood with Predator 212cc stock on Meridian trike.

Keep the rubber, add the steel washers to adjust chain/belt tension.

That's how I intend to tense my belt.

Your 4.2:1 gear ratio is very high.

A simple solution is to install a very large rear wheel sprocket.
Yes, it is very high but I was going for top end, yet to be seen. I usually pedal the bike as fast as the 1x1 setup lets me ~5mph and then feather in the throttle. Still kind of skittish of her. Not scared of her, just hate breaking her. I've read some where that these Cent' clutches don't like being feathered and last longer if you slam them in. Is this a fair idea of usage?

Yes, it is very high but I was going for top end, yet to be seen. I usually pedal the bike as fast as the 1x1 setup lets me ~5mph and then feather in the throttle. Still kind of skittish of her. Not scared of her, just hate breaking her. I've read some where that these Cent' clutches don't like being feathered and last longer if you slam them in. Is this a fair idea of usage?

Your gearing is very high.

You'll damage your clutch.

Top speed isn't something your trike can handle.

8:1 is a good start.
A bicycle with 6.8:1 gear ratio can do 68mph.
You don’t want to be going that fast.

Last edited:
With a lower gear ratio, you’ll be able to use your engine from a standing stop.

But thanks for the tip on pedaling to 5mph, before using your engine.

If I use your strategy on the bike I’m building, it might put less stress on my engine chain.

Your gearing is very high.

You'll damage your clutch.

Top speed isn't something your trike can handle.

8:1 is a good start.
A bicycle with 6.8:1 gear ratio can do 68mph.
You don’t want to be going that fast.
Yes it is high. Damaged clutch seems to be a seized clutch yes? There is fair amount of Meridian trikes going over 40mph on the 'tube. I would certainly be more worried about the lighter trikes that coming out nowadays. This is a good hefty model.

Of course I will gear up as anyone should. Yes, I've taken my crotch rocket out with minimum gear but I know better now, thankfully not the hard way. I'm just looking for the weak points now. I'll probably do some burnouts in the yard to see what she'll do at full throttle for a few moments then stretch her legs out. I'm progressing slowly I generally don't like breaking my toys ; p

Where did you find that speed chart,,, thats a kool tool...
OK...Got the chart... a few questions.

Is this chart good for China Girl 2 strokes???...Will it work for me???

What is the approximated "Rated Engine RPM" on my CG Zeda 80???...This seems to probably be the most important question to get something accurate off of this chart.

I know what my wheel size is...26".

Im assuming that "teeth on axle" is talking about my 36 tooth sprocket???

Im assuming that my "teeth on clutch" is probably 10 on my Zeda 80 China Girl???

If, all i have asked is correct thus far, hoping to use this for future referrence.

DAMIEN

Last edited:
Be VERY CAREFUL when you make your turns.

Trikes don’t take corners well.
Oh yes, first quad'ish type vehicle I even drove was a Can-am spyder
1609722943198.png

when they first came out many moons ago down in Woodbridge, VA. Super easy and stable burnouts but turns, you certainly have to adjust to. But, that's certainly true for any vessel where your body weight is over 30% its overall weight, be it sailboats, bikes, or trikes. Shoot, I almost laid down my friend's brand new 250 bringing it back from the seller on an easy turn because my muscle memory was used to running by SV650 with tons of low grunt.
1609723129759.png

So as I laid her over to make the turn and twisted the throttle there was no Grunt. Experience came into play and my body reacted quicker than my brain and quickly brought the front tire under the bike to make up for the lack of torque. Sadly, Suzuki screwed up the SV's perfect recipe from the Gladius on. No I have a slow'ish and stupid loud H&D Vrod.
1609723050452.png

With a lower gear ratio, you’ll be able to use your engine from a standing stop.

But thanks for the tip on pedaling to 5mph, before using your engine.

If I use your strategy on the bike I’m building, it might put less stress on my engine chain.
I'm lucky that it's pretty flat around this neighborhood and the neighbors don't mind to see their local tinkerer rebelling a bit. I kinda wished I had gotten the meridian with more gears but those were sold out, pretty early in the pandemic when everybody wanted a bike. I certainly lucked out there too because they have been sold ever since I bought mine. Settled in for the 1x1 as less things to break, adjust and PoM. But, and a BIG butt ,I could have tied in my TAV to the cassette and not need an additional sprocket or disassembly of the rear to install the hub and sprocket. Well, whenever those ever come back in stock I might venture that way. Short on garage space so I'll have to let go of something. Still waiting for the weather to clear up to get some rebelling going ons!

OK...Got the chart... a few questions.

Is this chart good for China Girl 2 strokes???...Will it work for me???

What is the approximated "Rated Engine RPM" on my CG Zeda 80???...This seems to probably be the most important question to get something accurate off of this chart.

I know what my wheel size is...26".

Im assuming that "teeth on axle" is talking about my 36 tooth sprocket???

Im assuming that my "teeth on clutch" is probably 10 on my Zeda 80 China Girl???

If, all i have asked is correct thus far, hoping to use this for future referrence.

DAMIEN
Yes, all your assumptions are correct. RPM is a mystery I did a quick search for "China Girl 2 strokes Zeda 80 rpm" and really didn't get anything definitive. I guess that's another plus for getting this bulletproof cheapo, ~$100, thumper. Guesses point to 5500 max RPM. If so, your looking at::

1609724674126.png

But you'll be dealing with this before you get there::

F_{D}=\frac{1}{2} \rho v^{2} C_{D} A

Back