First build: Nirve Brookhaven + HS 142f

So with school (pocket college) starting, I want to be less reliant on driving and finding a place to park, plus gas economy. also, parking in the mini-downtown area is a PITA. so, I picked up an HS 142f kit on "Amazin", and there followed two weeks of searching for a bike it would fit in

The result: a 700mm mens NIRVE Brookhaven, wearing high pressure tubular street slicks.

20190823_135036[3].jpg

nice big front subframe, even has a rear cargo rack, Score!

But... it has a 7-speed internal-hub, which is huge and does not fit the bolt pattern of the standard kit's sprocket

20190824_013205.jpg

that spline has the same OD as the sprocket's center ID, and is meant for a Shimano specialty hub brake system. However, I have other plans for it.

I am difficult to discourage, and I have a drill press!
Problem Solved.

20190824_154753.jpg
20190824_155807.jpg

that cheese chain is very stretchy, and despite sizing the chain length to a nice secure tension with about a half inch of deflection slack, it promptly grew by a bit over a half-link. I can't move the motor back and remove a whole-link because the left pedal would collide with the belt drive cover.

20190825_123145.jpg

and that static idler pulley just is not cutting it. this afternoon, the kit for the spring-loaded tensioner arrived in the mail, score!

here she is, as of putting away for the night. a pedalrun up and down the block had a blessedly-smooth chain roll, much better than the rapid derailing I was getting before. full test ride video pending daylight because I don't yet have a headlight, and this thing steps out when you get on the gas even a little!

Last edited:
Update: I got it down to a local bikeshop, and had them put new tubes in. they put Schrader tubes in, because the rims were drilled for the larger stems, which may be a contributing factor to the Presta stem failure, in addition to them just being of unknown age. it also simplifies my logistics because Schrader stuff is way easier to get/find here than Presta

Next step: a better helmet, and a side mirror

Bit of an update: I just don't know how to leave well-enough alone. I wasn't happy about the taillight-turn signal options available for bikes...
So I made my own. Because of course I would.
20190920_130929.jpg20190921_140814.jpg20190921_162529.jpg
20190921_164958.jpg

The lights are various clearance/aux lights from the trailer-lights section at Northern Tools, the turn signals were a 6-pack of 'penny lights'. Larger red is the tail/running light, smaller is the brake light. light

I'm waiting for the battery, thumb switch, and blinker unit to arrive from shipping, will post updates as those get in.

20190922_132744.jpg

And i also had to brew up a brake sensor. Whisker switch wired for normally closed (NC), stuck down with foam tape for locating and secured with zips. The whisker is bent around so the end is held pressed by the brake lever, to prevent accidentally activating. A test ride confirmed that it's not intrusive on my hand position, and also showed me that i need to adjust my throttle rest position, my finger got tired after a while

Back