First build

Mercurius

Local time
1:37 AM
It took a while to get together all the tools and materials, but persistence is paying off. This has been a trip all around, never laid a finger on a milling machine till now, still getting used to it. Thing has a mind of its own.

Anyway, if I can do this, i'm pretty sure anyone else can.

Attachments

• DSC07589.JPG
    DSC07589.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC07610.JPG
    DSC07610.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC07612.JPG
    DSC07612.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 420
  • DSC07613.JPG
    DSC07613.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC07628.JPG
    DSC07628.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC07625.JPG
    DSC07625.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 416
Very good!

The photos didn't go all the way to a finished bike. But it looks as though you are building a rear-mount friction drive?

Gotta admire the guys like you who do their own engineering.

Thanks, and yes it's a friction drive. A while back, the guy from bikemotorparts.com posted all the plans on how to make one of these, and luckily I wrote most of it down (drew diagrams etc) because he took em down not too long ago.

I got some parts from him, the engine and metals from his suggested online sources. So, the credit goes to him because otherwise it would've taken a lot longer to figure out how to build this. With the plans, it took 2 days to get it done. Can't wait to try this out!

Attachments

• DSC07630.JPG
    DSC07630.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC07631.JPG
    DSC07631.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC07632.JPG
    DSC07632.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 382
The shoulder bolt comes out a bit far, so I guess it will be ok to fill up the space with some washers. We'll see.

And I don't have a way to knurl the drive roller, so i might have to get someone to do it for me. Who knows, it might not even be necessary.

hey that's pretty nice work being done on that THING

and to the gentleman who gave you the plans --- VERY KIND

please post some more pictures when that rack THING is mounted on your

motor bike THING ------ and then have fun as you ride that THING

I have a friction drive of similar design (commercial kit). You'll love it for sure.
About knurling: If you leave the shaft smooth it'll probably work fine when dry, possibly a bit of slip. If it gets wet at all you'll probably go nowhere. Even the folks with knurled drive rollers have to go really easy on the throttle and pedal a lot more when the tires get wet.

Nice job though, it looks like the hardest parts are behind you.

heh, the wooly beast is a Persian cat, been my buddy/shadow for about 11 years now.

So, here the update about the friction drive kit:

I mounted the kit/engine on the bike today, first time. But the clutch drum won't seem to 'coast'. It's in drive upon cranking, and stalls out when I hit the brake. So, I'll try some longer spacers tomorrow, between the engine and the engine channel, maybe that'll work. ANY ADVICE on that would be greatly appreciated! Otherwise, we'll see what happens tomorrow with the longer spacers.

-----------

The drive roller, w/out the knurl, seems to grab very well so far.

----------

Here's some more pics. (in my previous pics, I had an orange 2 stroke. But I won a TLE43 on Ebay, came in last week, and used it to test out the kit. Runs good)

Attachments

• DSC07639.jpg
    DSC07639.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC07641.jpg
    DSC07641.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC07644.JPG
    DSC07644.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC07645.JPG
    DSC07645.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC07646.JPG
    DSC07646.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC07643.JPG
    DSC07643.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 350
Great work! I have been doing my setup myself also. I feel guilty paying the prices for these knowing i can do it myself, granted if i have the time. The first one is alway the most difficult. Im sure the next one will be more improved and alot easier.

How did the holes line up? Did the clutch drum come out true to the clutch?

What kind of Mill is that and how much do they run? Thats the one thing i desperately need in my shop. It make things a heck of alot easier with the right tools and if you are handy, they pretty much pay for themselves.

Thanks for the post. Great job!

You can weld tacks on the roller and then sand them down a bit with a flapdisc on an angle grinder, thats what i did. Check out my post and pics on Bicyclemotoring.com. My roller works great for me. I think it works alot better then one that is knurled and so far it doesn't seem to have much where on the tire at all.

Attachments

• Saw13.JPG
    Saw13.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Back