Break In First start attempts. Not even a pop or the crack of a spark

FurryOnTheInside

In Memoriam
Local time
4:40 AM
Not even popping and no sound from the plug idk if I would hear it anyway.. so should I even bother taking the plug out to see it outside the engine or just pedal home and swap out the mag and CDI for my spares?
I guess I will take the plug out. Though it's daytime. It's probably flooded already.. but there's no pop so idk.. I'll try again and then go home lol. I have not seen any numbers on the tachometer so I guess mag or CDI is faulty.

if you go thru the 'no start' list, you should find it - I don't replace things until I know they are not working

I have seen a couple lately that had a small amount if insulation stripped off the wire of the magneto going through the engine causing it to ground out. If you do a resistance test on the mag. you can isolate the prob. or if you don't have a meter first replace the cdi cause it's easiest then the mag. The stripped mag. prob. can trick you if the wire is moved while testing it can break contact with the engine and read that all is well then when you get it all back together and take off it touches again.

Last edited:
I have replaced the wires so it shouldn't be that, though yes it had a cut in the insulation. Well anyway I have spares of both so I don't have any problems replacing either or both lol. I think the lack of tachometer reading says it's one of those two so I'm not concerned really now, just about to pedal it home. :)
*sweaty*

I never thought about how the tach would come in handy as a troubleshooting device. I have a couple of them I haven't hooked up yet, and think I will keep one as a test tool. What a quick way to check for spark to the plug. I'm betting on the mag. failing. I remember you having some issues with the soldering and maybe heat was applied a little to long damaging the coil wiring or connection on the other end of the tab.

I never thought about how the tach would come in handy as a troubleshooting device. I have a couple of them I haven't hooked up yet, and think I will keep one as a test tool. What a quick way to check for spark to the plug. I'm betting on the mag. failing. I remember you having some issues with the soldering and maybe heat was applied a little to long damaging the coil wiring or connection on the other end of the tab.
Yeah I'm assuming that the tachometer is working (it switched on when I was setting it to "02"). I agree the magneto is the most likely and I did put a bit of heat into it and near it. Never mind. It's all learning. :)

Put a multimeter on the mag, if it's getting something in the lower to mid 300s you'd be good there, do disconnect the kill and cdi before measuring, also while you have it out check for near 0 resistance from the base of the spark plug seated in the threads and the metal behind the magneto.

Also in that realm make sure you don't have paint behind the magneto on the crankcase. Some mags have a coating of varnish that will also prevent a good ground path from the mag armature to the spark plug seat.

Put a multimeter on the mag, if it's getting something in the lower to mid 300s you'd be good there, do disconnect the kill and cdi before measuring, also while you have it out check for near 0 resistance from the base of the spark plug seated in the threads and the metal behind the magneto.

Also in that realm make sure you don't have paint behind the magneto on the crankcase. Some mags have a coating of varnish that will also prevent a good ground path from the mag armature to the spark plug seat.
I don't have a multimeter but I have spare parts to swap until I find a combination that works.
I don't have any kill switch, and I scraped and sanded the area behind the mag to ensure it is clean shiny metal. The mag itself is clean metal so should be good contact there.

I'm not sure why I never bothered turning the engine to check for spark before I ever screwed it in. That would have saved me some effort today! :rolleyes::oops:

The mag is easiest to replace now, and was exposed to the most heat, so I'll start with swapping that out for the original one that came with my engine. :)
I'll take the intake off the cylinder while the plug is out and mag removed and I'll suck the fuel out of the crankcase with a syringe and silicone tubing.

I don't have a multimeter but I have spare parts to swap until I find a combination that works.
I don't have any kill switch, and I scraped and sanded the area behind the mag to ensure it is clean shiny metal. The mag itself is clean metal so should be good contact there.

I'm not sure why I never bothered turning the engine to check for spark before I ever screwed it in. That would have saved me some effort today! :rolleyes::oops:

The mag is easiest to replace now, and was exposed to the most heat, so I'll start with swapping that out for the original one that came with my engine. :)
I'll take the intake off the cylinder while the plug is out and mag removed and I'll suck the fuel out of the crankcase with a syringe and silicone tubing.
Suck the fuel out for what?

Suck the fuel out for what?
Just so I don't have to pump it out the plug hole (I can do it indoors while there's a storm here tomorrow).
I will check it actually has some fuel in there lol!
I expect it is flooded as I tried a good number of times to start the engine while riding down a little slope.
I know there is fuel in the carb bowl, I can smell it from the filter.

Back