Break In First start attempts. Not even a pop or the crack of a spark

Ham fisted isn't precise... Inept is a better one. I know how to solder so believe me beginner mistakes are NOTHING compared to a few of my ham-fist solder jobs. I'm talking about the late night fixing wiring on a vehicle and you're tired and pissed and you just wrap the wire tips with a twisty tie from a bread bag and torch the sh*t out of them while applying eighth inch solder till its pouring off and then wrap it in about 20 layers of cheap electrical tape to cover up all the jagged edges type of ham-fistedness.

Yeah it will only get worse, enjoy it while you can.
Ooh will that work? :D hehehe
I was actually looking at the little mini butane torches on fleaBay. Thinking about getting one for repairs in remote places. I will try to get better at normal soldering skills first though, before I attempt to use a torch to do do it.
I have a good list of skills to learn and work to do on the MB over the winter. :)

Ooh will that work? :D hehehe
I was actually looking at the little mini butane torches on fleaBay. Thinking about getting one for repairs in remote places. I will try to get better at normal soldering skills first though, before I attempt to use a torch to do do it.
I have a good list of skills to learn and work to do on the MB over the winter. :)
It's harder with a torch if you bake the Flux off the end of the wires before getting the solder in there, once it's on it's on though.

It's harder with a torch if you bake the Flux off the end of the wires before getting the solder in there, once it's on it's on though.
I'll order a little torch and give it a go sometime, then. :) Practice makes perfect (or less inept) so I'll just try at home a few times over the winter so I get used to it. :)

I'll order a little torch and give it a go sometime, then. :) Practice makes perfect (or less inept) so I'll just try at home a few times over the winter so I get used to it. :)
34c72061-5a56-4096-a77a-808c025bcd9a_1.3838823aaa8d8c485dcfcdf71125b060.jpeg

These things are great and much more percise for soldering with the right tip.I love that someone can roll up outside the shop with a quick repair needed and I dont need to plug it in and wait for it to get to temp just light it wait 20-30 seconds and your good to go.R/C guys love these as they can be used in the feild or anywhere for that matter and last quite awhile per fill.They are also small,light,durable enough to go in our tool kits and range from 20-200 bucks so somthing for everyone!Also adjustable heat range from 25-80w having the right heat constant makes a huge difference compared to the cheap electric ones with a duty cycle.

Last edited:
They have little torches with soldering iron tips, I own a pencil torch version of one, they are handy once you've got basic soldering down well, and they melt silver solder nicely too if you ever have to fix something using it.

34c72061-5a56-4096-a77a-808c025bcd9a_1.3838823aaa8d8c485dcfcdf71125b060.jpeg

These things are great and much more percise for soldering with the right tip.I love that someone can roll up outside the shop with a quick repair needed and I dont need to plug it in and wait for it to get to temp just light it wait 20-30 seconds and your good to go.R/C guys love these as they can be used in the feild or anywhere for that matter and last quite awhile per fill.They are also small,light,durable enough to go in our tool kits and range from 20-200 bucks so somthing for everyone!Also adjustable heat range from 25-80w having the right heat constant makes a huge difference compared to the cheap electric ones with a duty cycle.
They have little torches with soldering iron tips, I own a pencil torch version of one, they are handy once you've got basic soldering down well, and they melt silver solder nicely too if you ever have to fix something using it.
Wow those are really cool! :) Thanks for these ideas guys. I had thought the closest thing to what I need is a tiny torch that I've seen, but actually having the metal tip is going to be much better. Okay I will ask Santa to get me one for Christmas, or whenevs. :)

Back