Break In First start attempts. Not even a pop or the crack of a spark

you're going about this strangely - I suspect it will take longer

never heard of someone smelling the bowl to see if there is flow - one usually looks and checks for jet blockage at same time

too much else here to waste time on - read more

Just so I don't have to pump it out the plug hole (I can do it indoors while there's a storm here tomorrow).
I will check it actually has some fuel in there lol!
I expect it is flooded as I tried a good number of times to start the engine while riding down a little slope.
I know there is fuel in the carb bowl, I can smell it from the filter.
If you're that desperate not to pedal the magneto nut is 14mm, chuck something in a drill and and it easy with no sparky plug, pull the carb so it doesn't feed the engine more.

you're going about this strangely - I suspect it will take longer

never heard of someone smelling the bowl to see if there is flow - one usually looks and checks for jet blockage at same time

too much else here to waste time on - read more
Lol I didn't smell the bowl to see if there is flow I just walked in the room and wondered why the smell of petrol is so strong so I followed my nose and found that the stink is coming from the air filter, so I surmised that there has to be fuel in the bowl and that I have probably flooded the crankcase by now.
Anyway I wasn't even looking for any fuel problem because I am 99% sure it's just the mag or the CDI that prevented me getting any reading on the tach when I was outside pedalling away.

Yeah I'm assuming that the tachometer is working (it switched on when I was setting it to "02"). I agree the magneto is the most likely and I did put a bit of heat into it and near it. Never mind. It's all learning. :)
I'm with you on the constant learning process. I learned something today with the tach thing. It's amazing I have any hair left given the amount of time I've spent scratching my head trying to solve sometimes very simple problems presented by these kits. I don't know how long you tried to start up before calling it quits, but I doubt you will get much out of the case. Usually that kind of flooding comes from a sticky float. Ya never know though. Probably just the new mag. and a shot of carb cleaner followed by a shot of air on the plug will have you going. At any rate I think you will be up and running quickly.

If you're that desperate not to pedal the magneto nut is 14mm, chuck something in a drill and and it easy with no sparky plug, pull the carb so it doesn't feed the engine more.
I'm not desperate to not pedal lo!l I don't want to take the bike outside in torrential rain thats coming tonight and will last all day tomorrow. I don't think it'd be a good idea to splatter fuel in the living room of my apartment, for one thing I hate the smell of petrol lol. If it was still summer I'm sure I would just pedal it up and down the street.

Edit: Okay maybe I'll just get a load of toilet paper and try to splatter my fuel into that then take it outside. :)

Last edited:
I'm with you on the constant learning process. I learned something today with the tach thing. It's amazing I have any hair left given the amount of time I've spent scratching my head trying to solve sometimes very simple problems presented by these kits. I don't know how long you tried to start up before calling it quits, but I doubt you will get much out of the case. Usually that kind of flooding comes from a sticky float. Ya never know though. Probably just the new mag. and a shot of carb cleaner followed by a shot of air on the plug will have you going. At any rate I think you will be up and running quickly.
I expect so. Loads of other minor issues with the bike came up during the ride though so I can fuss about with them until the weather clears up a bit. :)

Happy wrenching.
Thank you. :)
_20170928_191831.JPG

I like the approach on the head-steady, but wonder if old oil will block the muffler extension if no hole is drilled at low point.

Back