Engine Trouble Flying Horse Bullet Train Mystery Problem

D

Deleted member 27734

So I get on my bike to leave work, start it and let it warm up, and drive out of the parking lot all with no problems. I pull out and sit at a stop light, make a turn, and start on my way home and- out of nowhere, my motor seems to stop driving my bike! I had to push it a couple miles home. It's night time and cold, so I haven't gotten the chance to really look at it, but I did check the carb and the gas line which both seemed fine and functional. The motor starts just fine, and stays running just fine. However, it seems to hardly push the bike. I rode it on down a hill with the throttle pulled all the way and it seemed to work for about a minute after that, but it just isn't moving the bike as much as it should be.

I'm guessing it may be the clutch needs its oil changed, but I'm asking your guys' thoughts on what the problem may be.

So I get on my bike to leave work, start it and let it warm up, and drive out of the parking lot all with no problems. I pull out and sit at a stop light, make a turn, and start on my way home and- out of nowhere, my motor seems to stop driving my bike! I had to push it a couple miles home. It's night time and cold, so I haven't gotten the chance to really look at it, but I did check the carb and the gas line which both seemed fine and functional. The motor starts just fine, and stays running just fine. However, it seems to hardly push the bike. I rode it on down a hill with the throttle pulled all the way and it seemed to work for about a minute after that, but it just isn't moving the bike as much as it should be.

I'm guessing it may be the clutch needs its oil changed, but I'm asking your guys' thoughts on what the problem may be.
Well... I got no good answer for you... I can only speculate since I haven't even put a single glue drop of fuel through mine yet...

Oil change doesn't seem likely whatsoever, and actually as it gets used and loses the anti-friction properties it would be less slippery in the clutch.

So I would start trying to backtrack a bit from drive cog back to the crank. Could be a bad one way clutch or snapped key. I would try rolling the bike backwards and forward a tiny bit, there should be slightly more drag when rolling the wheel backwards as the one way clutch will engage and start turning the clutch bell over. Without oil in my clutch cover I can hear the bell spinning, with oil I might not be able to, but I know I can feel it engaging when I turn the drive cog by hand with my fingers, turning it clockwise it has more resistance behind it since I'm then trying to turn multiple parts.

If that checked out then I would probably try dumping most of the oil and removing the cover, then start the engine hold the brakes and give it gas while looking in and seeing what is moving and what is not. That would likely help pinpoint a key that shorn and get me somewhere to look at what needs fixing.

I don't think it's beyond the internals of the clutch mechanism, it's actually impossible to be since right after is the crankshaft. I haven't got any clue how durable the freewheel between the bell and drive gear is, but I have certain strange feelings it's nowhere close to being very strong though it's behavior seems like a roller-ramp type design which tend to be extremely tough compared to other types. It could be just a key since you might be feeling it on a downhill run, if you were already accelerating via gravity then the actual force behind the engine to get you moving faster is rather low so a broken key jamming up just enough would be able to add some of the engines load to what you already have going for you.

Back